1. Seek medical attention
Get medical help from a medical practitioner, such as a doctor, or by going to a hospital as soon as possible.
- If it's an emergency situation, contact the local emergency services first, then contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team as soon as you can.
- If it’s not an emergency situation, call our Emergency Assistance Team if you need directions to an appropriate medical facility.
Depending on where you’re from and where you are, there may be Reciprocal Health Care Agreements in place (the Emergency Assistance team will let you know) but either way, take advantage of the public health system where possible.
2. Get it in writing
Most claims need supporting documentation and medical claims are no different. So while it may be the last thing on your mind, do try and get copies of documents that will support your claim before you leave the medical facility such as:
- Doctor or other medical practitioner’s report confirming your illness.
- Hospital Admission report, if you’re admitted to hospital.
- Ambulance and Medical evacuation reports if relevant.
In some cases, we may need to obtain your past medical history from your usual doctor at home but we’ll let you know if this is the case.
3. Keep your receipts
You’ll need to keep all your receipts, along with your itineraries and booking and cancellation confirmations for any affected travel arrangements for when you claim. If you don’t do this, we may reduce or reject your claim.
4.Need to know more?
Our suggestions should help you when things go wrong and you want to make a claim. All travel insurance plans are different and cover will vary, depending what's happened, your country of residence, the plan you choose and any options or upgrades you buy. Your policy will always have the full details.
If you have questions about what's covered and not covered, just ask us.
- Simple & flexible travel insurance for your next adventure.
- Insights to help you navigate the risks & find the safer path.
- Discover your next adventure with tips & advice from the locals.
- Opportunities to travel & create.
- Tap into the knowledge of other travellers or share your expertise.
- Discover how travellers have helped change peoples lives.
- Everything you need to know. We're here to help.