- Simple & flexible travel insurance for your next adventure.
- Insights to help you navigate the risks & find the safer path.
- Opportunities to travel & create.
- Tap into the knowledge of other travellers or share your expertise.
- Discover how travellers have helped change peoples lives.
- Travel stories to excite, inspire and share.
- Everything you need to know. We're here to help.
Kingston Jamaica - Civil Unrest
Overview of the situation
Jamaican defence forces and police are involved in an operation to arrest an alleged drug baron and weapons trafficker wanted in the USA, resulting in widespread unrest in the capital, including gun battles which have claimed as many as 60 lives since Sunday May 23rd.
The fighting has intermittently closed the Norman Manley International Airport. (Check with your airline or travel provider if you plan to transit through the airport in the next few days.)
On May 24th the US State Department issued a warning to its citizens to stay away from Kingston and its surrounds.
Other nations are considering their response and may issue their own warnings.
As of May 25th (local time) there were no reports of unrest spreading to major tourist areas.
Avoiding civil unrest
- Avoid public gatherings or demonstrations, and areas where you see police or military movement.
- Monitor local media reports and follow the advice of police and military.
- If you suspect unrest or violence has broken out close to you, remain in your hotel room and follow the instructions of staff, police and military authorities.
- Keep an eye on airline websites if you are travelling through Kingston to find out about travel disruptions or redirections.
- Advise friends and family of your location via phone, email or on your travel blog, just in case the situation deteriorates.
What is the official Govt Travel Advice?
This data can change frequently, so please check your local Government's travel advisory website. Also, register with your foreign affairs department or Consulate so they can easily find you in the event of an emergency.
How will this affect my travel insurance?
For World Nomads policy holders, please check your policy wording to ensure you know what is covered (and not covered) or contact us for advice:
Travel alert for Kingston, Jamaica
You might also like
Jamaica - Avoiding the Local Hassles
Perhaps one of the most beautiful of all the Caribbean islands, Jamaica is equally one of the most unique.
Typhoons cause havoc in Jamaica, Japan - Travel Alert
27/08/2012: Travellers to Jamaica are being warned of the potentially devastating effects of Tropical Storm Isaac, which threatens to drench the island nation.
Jamaica - Making your Way Around Safely
The island of Jamaica is a traveler's dream, offering distinct traditions, delicious cuisine and unique handcrafted art, not to mention the breathtaking landscape and inviting climate.