Travel insurance cover for baggage and personal effects


For policies purchased after 10 August 2016, 3:00am UTC, your World Nomads policy is provided through Zurich Insurance Group

Desculpe, essa informação está indisponível no momento.  Estamos trabalhando para trazê-la para você o mais rápido possível. Customer Service phone (sales / service) 0800 761 61 61 0800-275-8585 (Hearing impaired service)

SAC - Informações & Pré-vendas 0800 761 61 61 0800 275 8585 (Deficientes Auditivos e de Fala) Opening hours (except holidays): Monday to Friday from 8h to 20h and Saturday from 8h to 18h.

Hearing impared service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Horário de funcionamento (exceto feriados): De segunda a sexta-feira das 8h às 20h e aos sábados das 8h às 18h. Deficientes Auditivos e de Fala: Atendimento disponível 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por seman.



For policies purchased before 10 August 2016, 3:00am UTC your World Nomads policy is provided through Bupa Global

While it’s very important that you be extra careful with your own baggage and personal effects while travelling, your policy can help if something happens and it’s lost, stolen or damaged.

What’s covered
  • baggage and personal items when stolen
  • checked-in luggage when lost or damaged by a common carrier
  • baggage and personal items if lost or damaged in a fire or natural disaster
  • passport, credit cards and travel documents when stolen, lost or damaged (specific conditions apply)
  • cash if stolen (Explorer plan only)
  • sporting equipment when stolen or if it’s damaged by a common carrier (Explorer plan only)
How it works

Depending on what’s happened, your personal items are covered by repairing or paying out the replacement cost (but only if the covered items are documented as less than two years old or in the case of clothes, they must be documented as less than one year old.)

You’ll need to report any theft or fire to the nearest police authority within 24 hours of the discovery (if you can’t notify the relevant local authority due to exceptional circumstances, you must notify the claims department as soon as possible).

Your police report and/or the reports filed with the carrier, accommodation provider or other service provider plus relevant tickets and baggage checks (for loss or damage to baggage by the carrier) are needed to support your claim.

And of course you’ll need receipts of purchase and proof of ownership for the items you are claiming. What we are looking for is proof  of purchase, ( date of purchase and the amount paid) and that the item was yours.
Also be aware that any baggage or sporting equipment claim submitted will have a €70EURO/$100USD policy excess deducted per person, per claimable event (the currency you purchase your policy in is the currency you will pay for your excess, either EURO or USD)

What’s not covered

Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the Product Guide (policy wording), particularly the List of Benefits and Section 21 Baggage and Section 6 General Exclusions, so there are no surprises if you do need to use it.

At no time for any reason should you leave your bags or any personal items unsupervised anywhere. You wouldn't do it at home so be more careful when you are travelling.

Your baggage and personal effects are not covered at all when:

  • not effectively supervised ( for stolen items) or where you do not take reasonable care for the safety, security or condition of your belongings
  • in a non-lockable or visible part of a passenger compartment of a locked boat or motor vehicle or when stolen from a vehicle or accommodation with no visible signs of forced entry.
  • forgotten, lost or mislaid
  • Unobserved theft (simple theft)
  • Damage to personal belongings unless checked in with common carrier
  • Relating to sporting equipment: There's no cover for 1.the theft of sporting equipment which is not effectively supervised in a public place, where they are in public view, even if locked to an immovable object 2.sporting equipment while in use, whether it is owned or rented by you 3. breakage or damage to sporting equipment over three years old 4. the rental or purchase of sports equipment.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 8h to 20h
  • Saturday 8h to 18h
  • Hearing impaired service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Contact us


Capitals and Metropolitan regions:
(11) 4020 0902

Other regions:

Hearing impaired service: