Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?


For policies purchased after 10 August 2016, 3:00am UTC, your World Nomads policy is provided through Zurich Insurance Group

Desculpe, essa informação está indisponível no momento.  Estamos trabalhando para trazê-la para você o mais rápido possível. Customer Service phone (sales / service) 0800 761 61 61 0800-275-8585 (Hearing impaired service)

SAC - Informações & Pré-vendas 0800 761 61 61 0800 275 8585 (Deficientes Auditivos e de Fala) Opening hours (except holidays): Monday to Friday from 8h to 20h and Saturday from 8h to 18h.

Hearing impared service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Horário de funcionamento (exceto feriados): De segunda a sexta-feira das 8h às 20h e aos sábados das 8h às 18h. Deficientes Auditivos e de Fala: Atendimento disponível 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por seman.



For policies purchased before 10 August 2016, 3:00am UTC your World Nomads policy is provided through Bupa Global

If you want to go for a ride on a motorbike or moped while on your trip, there’s cover available under both the Standard Plan and the Explorer Plan.

What’s covered

To be covered when riding a motorbike or moped, you must take all the usual safety precautions including:

  • be legally allowed to ride in the country you are in
  • obey the local road rules; and
  • wear a helmet if it is required by law.

If you are renting a motorcycle, there’s also cover for your rental vehicle insurance excess when you buy the Explorer Plan (the rental vehicle excess benefit is not included in the Standard Plan).Read Section 25 ‘Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess’ in the product guide (policy wording) for full details of this benefit.

How it works

If you are injured in an accident while riding a motorcycle or moped, we’ll cover:

  • evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including   helicopter when necessary and available).
  • emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at the local medical centre; and/or
  • repatriation home if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip.

If you are in need of a medical evacuation or repatriation, you or someone with you MUST contact the insurer's Emergency Assistance Team immediately. The Emergency Assistance team can arrange and pre-approve all expenses. Search and rescue is also not covered unless approved by the insurer, ihi Bupa.

Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay)depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.

Also be aware that any medical claim submitted will have a policy excess/co-pay deducted per person, per claimable event.

What’s not covered

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms and conditions in the Product Guide for full details on what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it.

  • racing or riding competitively
  • theft or damage to the motorcycle
  • if you ride in areas where the following events are occurring, your cover may be limited: war, invasion, acts of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, terrorist acts, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, military or usurped power, martial law, riots or the act of any lawfully constituted authority, or army, naval or air service operations (whether war has been declared or not)
  • riding in an area which is marked or is known to be ‘closed’, ‘out of bounds’ or ‘unsafe’ or where you knowingly expose yourself to any needless risks or act illegally.
  • legal liability for injury or property damage you cause to a third party, caused by you, whilst riding a motorcycle (defined as a motor vehicle in the product guide)
  • anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.