Aspiring travel photographers, this is your opportunity to be mentored by a professional photographer on assignment in Nepal!
From the snow-capped slopes of the Himalayas to the colourful local festivals, Nepal is a photographer’s dream destination. Despite the earthquakes that recently shook the region, the trails are still open and the people as welcoming as ever.
This is your chance to capture the beauty of this stunning country and the resilient spirit of its people. Under the mentorship of Richard I’Anson, you’ll document the stories that no one else is telling along with the community development projects that are rebuilding both local livelihoods and tourism in Nepal.
Get some great travel photography tips
Want to craft your best photo essay for the scholarship? Sign up for our free Travel Photography Tips video series with Richard I’Anson!
- A 10-day all-expenses-paid trip to Nepal with Intrepid Travel
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Kathmandu, Nepal
- Insight into how Nepal is being rebuilt through the Australian Himalayan Foundation
- Professional mentorship from travel photographer Richard I'Anson
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
- Plus be outfitted for the assignment with gear from Kathmandu
The 4 Runner's Up
- A FREE 45-min portfolio review from Richard I'Anson (valued at $800 AUD)
The 25 shortlisted entrants will receive:
- The option of a 45-min portfolio review from Richard I'Anson (special rate of $400 AUD)
On the trip you will work alongside Richard I'Anson photographing the vibrant people and breath-taking landscapes of Nepal.
You will gain invaluable mentoring and hands-on experience in everything from shot set up, technique and composition through to insights into his many years of globe-trotting as an award-winning travel photographer.
Your assignment will involve observing and assisting Richard as well as undertaking your own photographic work. This will involve long days, early mornings and late nights working!
Most of all, you'll be experiencing what it's like to be a photographer on-assignment with a one of the world’s leading travel photographers!
You will also post photos from your assignment to Instagram or Twitter on a daily basis so that we can follow your adventures.
You will work through a specific shot list of 30 photos that will be commissioned by the scholarship partners as part of your assignment.
You will keep a daily journal about your time on the trip and upload this to a World Nomads travel journal (minimum 200 words per day), including pictures you've taken.
On your return you will work with Richard I'Anson through the editorial process to shortlist your top photographs and colour balance to achieve professional looking shots.
What the judges are looking for
This is your chance to showcase your photography talents and unique perspective. The aim of the scholarship is the give the winner a foot in the door to the travel photography industry, so you’ll need to convince us that you are the best person to send.
Your photo essay should showcase your:
- Ability to convey a story through photos (and their captions)
- Excellent technique
*Note: Should your entry reach the final round of judging you will be asked to supply the RAW file of each photo for comparison with your submission (these may also be published online).
Who can apply?
- Any non-professional can apply - this is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- The scholarship is open to all nationalities (subject to obtaining a visa to enter Nepal); however, you must have an exceptionally high degree of proficiency in written English.
- Minimum age 18 by the application deadline (November 25, 2015)
- You must have a current, valid passport and you must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
- You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in travel photography.
How to apply
To apply, simply follow these 3 steps:
Shoot your photo story (maximum of 5 images).
Your images must tell a story about a place you have visited. 'Place' may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text (1-2 sentences) to help contextualise the shot.
Craft a 1500-character essay telling us what winning this scholarship would mean to you and why we should choose you.
Your written essay will have significant weighting in the judging process, so think carefully about why you should be chosen.
Tell us about yourself, your passions, why you love photography, what drives you to take a better shot, where you would like to go with your photography etc. Help us form a picture in our mind of you as a person with your text.
Complete the application form including your personal details along with uploading your photos.
One entry per person.
Scholarship applications close
Arrive in Kathmandu
10-day assignment in Nepal
Depart from Kathmandu
Looking for a little inspiration? Check out some of our past winning photo essays.
We know this is going to be hard to complete on a mobile device, why not enter your email and we will send you a link so you don't forget to enter this great oppourtunity.
Go on a travel photography assignment to Nepal!
Applications for this scholarship are now closed