1. Safety first
Make sure everyone is safe. If you need immediate help, contact the local emergency services.
2. Seek medical attention
Get medical help from a medical practitioner, such as a doctor, or by going to a hospital as soon as possible.
- If it's an emergency situation, contact the local emergency services first, then contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team as soon as you can.
- If it’s not an emergency situation, call our Emergency Assistance Team if you need directions to an appropriate medical facility.
Depending on where you’re from and where you are, there may be Reciprocal Health Care Agreements in place (the Emergency Assistance team will let you know) but either way, take advantage of the public health system where possible.
3. Get it in writing
Most claims need supporting documentation and medical claims are no different. So while it may be the last thing on your mind, do try and get copies of documents that will support your claim before you leave the medical facility such as:
- Doctor or other medical practitioner’s report, confirming what happened and the nature of your injury.
- Hospital Admission report, if you’re admitted to hospital.
- Ambulance and Medical evacuation reports if relevant.
- Police report (if they were involved).
- Any other relevant documentation related to the accident.
4. Keep your receipts
If you have additional expenses and your policy includes cover for what's happened, to make a claim you’ll need to keep all your receipts, along with your itinerary, booking and cancellation confirmations and any other specific documents requested by the emergency assistance or claims team.
5. Need to know more?
Our suggestions should help you when things go wrong and you want to make a claim. All travel insurance plans are different and cover will vary, depending what's happened, your country of residence, the plan you choose and any options or upgrades you buy. Your policy will always have the full details.
If you have questions about what's covered and not covered, just ask us.
If you’re unable to provide requested documentation, it may take longer to process your claim or we may not be able to cover certain expenses.
“The perfect choice for independent travellers”
World Nomads Travel Insurance was reviewed by Reviews.com on 16 Jan 2014 and rated 4 stars