Terms and Conditions
Conditions of Entry
Important: Please read these rules before entering this Scholarship Program (the “Program”).
1. Information on the scholarship prize and how to enter forms a part of these conditions of entry. By applying for this scholarship you agree to be bound by these conditions of entry and all decisions of the scholarship promoter (World Nomads), which are final in all matters relating to the promotion. The scholarship and these conditions of entry are void where prohibited by law. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the World Nomads website at www.worldnomads.com.
2. The Promoter is WorldNomads.com Pty Limited (World Nomads) of Level 21, 680 George St, Sydney, NSW 2000. "NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT OF ANY KIND, OR INSURANCE QUOTE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE, PAYMENT, OR QUOTE WILL NOT INPROVE THE CHANCES OF WINNING."
3. Application Period: The application period is from 12:00:01 am Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on May 25, 2018 to 11:59:59pm EDT on July 10, 2018 (the "Application Period"). World Nomads' computer is the official timekeeping device for the Scholarship. All applications must be received during the Application Period, and meet other requirements in these Conditions of Entry, to be eligible to win the Scholarship. Applications are deemed to be received at the time of receipt by World Nomads and World Nomads records are conclusive as to the time of receipt. All dates are subject to change if necessary at World Nomads' discretion. APPLICANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
4. Employees of World Nomads, RØDE Microphones, OneSeed Expeditions, Langly and any of their respective parent companies, affiliate companies, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, and advertising and promotional agencies, and immediate family members of each and those living in their households, are not eligible to win any prizes. World Nomads reserves the right to request proof of eligibility.
5. Eligibility Criteria: This Program is open to residents of any country that does not restrict promotion or participation in this scholarship, subject to approving any necessary visas, who must:
6. To submit an application, you must, during the period specified in Clause 3:
7. Applications must consist of the above material (“Submission”) and include all required contact details.
8. Should your travel film reach the final round of judging you may be contacted by World Nomads to provide additional information in order to confirm your eligibility for the program.
9. All applications must be submitted in English.
10. One (1) application per person during the Application Period. The odds of winning will depend on the number and quality of entries received during the Application Period. Any attempts to obtain additional entries, including through multiple or duplicate accounts will result in disqualification.
11. Your Submission must not (as determined in Sponsor’s discretion): (i) violate any third-party rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademark rights, or rights of privacy and publicity; (ii) contain disparaging or defamatory statements; (iii) include threats to any person, place, business, or group; (iv) be obscene, offensive, or indecent; (v) depict risky behavior; (vi) be untruthful, incomplete, inaccurate or misleading information; (vii) contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm, against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or (viii) contain unauthorized third-party trademarks or logos.
12. By providing a Submission, you warrant and represent that: (i) you own all rights in and to all Submission submitted by you (including, without limitation, all copyright and other intellectual property rights); (ii) all such Submissions are original works of authorship on your part and have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work and do not violate, misappropriate or infringe any copyright, trademark or other proprietary right of any other person or entity; and (iii) the Submission complies with all requirements of these Conditions of Entry.
13. If sending your Submission to this Scholarship via your mobile device, you may be charged for standard data use from your mobile service provider according to the terms in your wireless service provider's data plan.
14.Disclaimer: Subject to Applicable Law, the Released Parties will not be responsible for:
15. Name and Likeness Rights: Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Scholarship constitutes permission to use each winner’s name, country of residence, likeness, film Submission (excluding personal essay and details) and prize information, without limitation, for Sponsor's advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes (including in publicly-displayed advertising and in a publicly-distributed winner list) without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winner may be required to execute a consent to the use of their name, hometown, aural and visual likeness and prize information, without limitation, for advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. By entering this Scholarship, you consent to being contacted by Sponsor for any purpose in connection with this Scholarship.
16. License to Submissions: By entering the Scholarship and submitting your Submission to Sponsor in connection with the Scholarship, you hereby grant to Sponsor a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and otherwise use and sublicense your Submission, or any portion thereof, in connection with the Scholarship and for other advertising, marketing and promotional purposes, and to incorporate Submissions, in whole or in part, into other works in any manner, form, media or technology now known or later developed. Sponsor will have no obligation to publish or use or retain any Submission you submit or to return any such Submission to you. You agree that it is your sole responsibility to obtain all permissions and releases necessary for the grant of the rights contained in this paragraph and these Conditions of Entry. You agree to take, at Sponsor's expense, any further action (including, without limitation, execution of affidavits and other documents) reasonably requested by Sponsor to effect, perfect or confirm Sponsor's rights as set forth above and in these Conditions of Entry. World Nomads reserves the right to disqualify the winning recipient at its absolute discretion in the event of non-compliance or the failure to provide such releases.
17. The Scholarship recipient will be selected by a panel of judges including three independent judges who will select the best overall application from a review of all eligible applications. The winning application will best interpret both the film brief and articulate why the author of the application should be awarded the 2018 World Nomads Travel Film Scholarship. The selection will be conducted at WorldNomads.com Pty Limited of Level 21, 680 George St, Sydney, NSW 2000 between June 10 and August 8, 2018. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into, including in the event of a dispute. Chance plays no part in determining the successful scholarship recipient.
18. If the program recipient is not immediately identifiable or contactable World Nomads will make reasonable efforts to identify and/or contact the recipient. If the recipient has not accepted the prize within 3 days, the next best application will be selected as prize recipient.
19. The successful applicant will receive the following;
Total prize value of each is approximately $10,000 AUD as at 25 May 2018.
*Once proof of purchase has been provided, World Nomads will reimburse the full cost of the insurance policy.
**TRAVEL INSURANCE PLAN MUST BE PURCHASED THROUGH WORLDNOMADS.COM AND WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE WILL BE REIMBURSED IMMEDIATELY. The travel insurance policy from World Nomads.com Pty Ltd will be issued subject to the applicants’ meeting eligibility criteria and subject to the policy’s terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. If any of the winners are not eligible for travel insurance through World Nomads, he or she will be responsible for obtaining his or her own travel insurance to cover all activities and will be reimbursed up to AU$300.
20. The value of the prize is accurate at the date of commencement of the program promotion. World Nomads accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize after that date. The prize cannot be refunded, transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash. World Nomads reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the prize with cash or a prize of comparable value if the prize cannot be awarded as described for any reason.
21. The program recipient will be responsible for all personal expenses and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with the prize that are not included in the prize description. The program recipient is also responsible for all transportation to the point of departure, including accommodation costs prior to and following the travel dates in order to meet flight connections.
22. Travel arrangements to and from the winner’s home and their nearest capital city international airport do not form part of the prize unless expressly stated in these terms & conditions and are the responsibility of the winner. The winner must travel on the same flights and itinerary as instructed by the Promoter. The travel prize cannot be used as part payment for another airfare package. Frequent flyer points cannot be accrued on this prize. The Prize must be taken on dates specified by the Promoter.
23. Limitations of Liability/Releases: By applying for this Scholarship, you release, except where prohibited by law, Sponsor and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Scholarship or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of, or inability to use, any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory. You accept that travel and any other activities comprising the prize, are inherently dangerous and may result in death, injury, incapacity, damage to property or other losses. The Promoter is not responsible for any acts of god, such as adverse weather conditions or industrial action or civil commotion that may occur whilst the winner is traveling. It is the responsibility of the prize-winner to enquire about local issues and conditions at destinations prior to travel. The Promoter does not guarantee that the winner will enjoy the travel prize or be suited to the type of travel prize that is offered.
24. The program recipient must keep a daily diary about their time on the trip and submit this, plus pictures they've taken, to World Nomads to be used in the 'On assignment' scholarship page. The program recipient must also work with Brian Rapsey to produce and complete a 5-7 minute documentary film as part of their scholarship assignment. An assignment brief will be provided by World Nomads. Their article and film will then be published on World Nomads and the respective partner websites and should be completed within 2 months of the conclusion of the scholarship trip.
25. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected mail or any errors or failures in Internet or other communications. World Nomads reserves the right to cancel or modify the scholarship promotion if, in its sole discretion, the administration of the scholarship promotion is impaired for technical or other reasons beyond its reasonable control and, in such an event, may select the Scholarship recipient from all valid entries received prior to the impairment.
26. The program recipient agrees that acceptance of the prize by the program recipient is conditional upon compliance with all relevant laws, rules and regulations and upon the program recipient releasing World Nomads, and RØDE Microphones, OneSeed Expeditions, Langly and their affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees and agents, from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for any personal injury or other loss or damage (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) suffered in connection with the acceptance or use of the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
28. No Facebook or Other Social Media Platform Endorsement: This Scholarship is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Inc. or any other social media platform (each, a “Social Media Platform”). You understand that by using and interacting with any Social Media Platform, you are subject to the terms, conditions, and policies that govern the use of such Social Media Platform. You should therefore review the applicable terms and policies for each Social Media Platform (such as www.facebook.com, www.twitter.com, www.instagram.com) including privacy and data gathering practices, before using or interacting with a Social Media Platform.
29. The Promoter, in its absolute discretion, reserves the right to remove any of the travel destination options in the event that travel to such destinations is deemed dangerous in accordance with travel advice obtained from the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. In the event winner engages in behavior during travel that (as determined by Promoter in its sole discretion) that is illegal, tortious, or subjects winner or companion to detention, Promoter shall have no obligation to pay any damages, fees, fines, judgments, or other costs or expenses of any kind incurred by winner as a result of such conduct. The Promoter, and other providers of any prize, and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, professional advisors, contractors, and advertising/marketing and contest agencies (collectively, “Released Parties”) shall have no liability for any personal injuries, death property damage, or other damages or expenses resulting from or arising out of any travel related to the prize or any other aspect of prize winner’s or companion’s acceptance of the prize, to the maximum extent permitted by Applicable Law.
31. Intellectual Property: The Scholarship and all accompanying materials are Copyright © 2018 by World Nomads.com Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
32. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limit, exclude or modify or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the State and Territories of Australia, or any other similar laws applicable in the country of the entrant (“Applicable Law”).
33. Limitations of Liability/Releases: Subject to Applicable Law, by entering the scholarship, you release Sponsor and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the scholarship or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of, or inability to use, any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.