Am I covered by Travel Insurance if I'm on a working holiday?

For information relating to policies purchased prior to 17 June 2021, please check the Policy Wording provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased from 17 June 2021 please see below.

Cover may be available for working holidays. When you have the appropriate working visa for the country you plan to work in and the appropriate qualification, certification or license for that work (where applicable).

Cover is available for:

  • Non-manual paid or volunteer work, e.g. childcare, teaching and administrative.

  • General manual paid or volunteer work, e.g. retail, bar or hospitality (NOT including use of mechanical and industrial machinery and/or working at a height exceeding 2 metres above ground level).

What you need to do to be covered

All you need to do is list ‘working’ then choose the work activity that you plan to do, e.g. administration, retail, hospitality, manual, etc. when getting your quote. Easy! Special Conditions and Exclusions apply to certain work activities and you may be required to pay an additional premium, so be aware of this.

You must add all the adventures and activities you plan to try on your trip when you buy it. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued. 

Work is defined as any work, including work placements, incidental work, volunteer work and work experience, paid or unpaid.

Will you be working with animals? If so, do let us know so we can confirm whether or not there’s cover available.

How it works

If something happens while at work and you are in need of medical evacuation or if you are hospitalised and incur emergency medical expenses abroad, the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team must be notified immediately and you must maintain contact with them until you no longer require treatment or assistance.

What’s not covered

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything so do take the time to read the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions in the Policy Wording for full details so there are no surprises if you need to use it.

Here are some of the main things that aren’t covered:

  • Personal liability while you’re working (including volunteer work);

  • Work with machinery or heavy/industrial equipment;

  • Work at a height above 2 metres;

  • Work on offshore and underground, including in caves;

  • Work as a ski, snowboard or diving instructor or guide;

  • Work as a guide where ropes or other specialist climbing equipment is required;

  • Work involving hazardous activities;

  • Anything listed in the General Exclusions, Specific Exclusions under Section 8 or any other Exclusion in the policy.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance.

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1) (For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018)
  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (GMT/BST) (For policies purchased before 1 November 2018)

Contact us


For policies purchased on or after 1 November 2018:

1800 903 008

+353 21 237 8001


For policies purchased before 1 November 2018:

+44 (0) 330 660 0738

0330 660 0738

+44 (0) 330 660 0738