Do I need extra country cover if I am only making a stop-over, but not leaving the airport?

Travel insurance can help in many ways when you’re travelling around the world and stopping over in several countries. For example, you may need travel insurance for lost or delayed luggage, trip delays, medical emergencies, or if you must cancel a trip for a covered reason.

For travellers making stopovers, there is one question that we get asked a lot at World Nomads, Do I need travel insurance for a specific country if I’m only stopping over in another country and don’t plan to leave the airport? The answer is no, you don’t need to purchase additional travel insurance coverage when making a stop-over if you’re not planning on leaving the airport.

But, if you do feel like you want to go and explore a certain city or decide you want to extend your holiday, then you’ll need to have travel insurance the moment you step out of the airport if you want to be covered for unexpected events during your travels.

If you do decide to extend your trip there are terms and conditions attached to buying or extending your policy cover while overseas. World Nomads travel insurance our coverage is activated depending on:

  • Where you are when you buy or extend the policy.
  • The date of purchase.
  • The date you choose the cover to start (start date).
  • The date your trip actually starts, and
  • The date you choose your cover to end (end date).

Important: When you buy a policy, you must select all the countries and regions where you’ll be travelling, and these will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. Your policy will provide cover for your chosen countries and regions of travel unless there’s a warning issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advising ‘Do Not Travel’ or ‘Avoid Non-essential Travel’ to a particular country or part of a country and you choose to go there anyway.

Refer to before you go and while travelling for the latest alerts and travel advice.

What if I want to extend my stay in a specific country and need extra travel insurance?

For Irish residents who want to keep travelling, you can extend your policy before 11:59pm GMT on the end date shown on your Certificate of Insurance using your World Nomads membership online, provided:

  • You have not made, nor do you intend to make a claim; and
  • You’re 64 years old or younger; and
  • Your country of residence remains Ireland.

You will have continuous cover, subject to the conditions described in your policy section ‘Extending your policy’. You cannot extend your policy once it has lapsed, but you can buy a new policy.

If you need information on making changes to your policy visit our Managing your policy section and choose your country or region of residence to get the latest updates.

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions in the Policy Wording for full details so that there are no surprises if you need to use it.

If you’re not sure if something is covered, get in touch.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance.

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1) (For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018)
  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (GMT/BST) (For policies purchased before 1 November 2018)

Contact us


For policies purchased on or after 1 November 2018:

1800 903 008

+353 21 237 8001


For policies purchased before 1 November 2018:

+44 (0) 330 660 0738

0330 660 0738

+44 (0) 330 660 0738