Am I covered by Travel Insurance if I'm on a working holiday?

Yes, cover may be available if you are planning on going on a working holiday depending on the type of work you'll be doing.
When you have the appropriate working visa for the country you plan to work in and the appropriate qualification, certification or license for that work (where applicable), cover may be available for:

  • Non-manual paid or volunteer work, e.g. childcare, teaching and administrative.
  • General manual paid or volunteer work, e.g. retail, bar or hospitality (NOT including use of mechanical and industrial machinery and/or working at a height exceeding 2 metres above ground level).

Special conditions and exclusions apply to certain work activities and you may be required to pay an additional premium.

What you need to do

When getting your travel insurance quote, list ‘working’ then choose the work activity that you plan to do, e.g. administration, retail, hospitality, manual.

You must add all the adventures and activities you plan to try on your trip when you buy it. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued.

Work is defined as any work, including work placements, incidental work, volunteer work and work experience, paid or unpaid.

Will you be working with animals? If so, do let us know so we can confirm whether or not there’s cover available.

How it works

If something happens while at work and you are in need of medical evacuation or if you are hospitalised and incur emergency medical expenses abroad, contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team immediately and you must maintain contact with them until you no longer require treatment or assistance.

What’s not covered

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything so do take the time to read the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions in the policy wording for full details so there are no surprises if you need to use it.

Here are some of the main things that aren’t covered:

  • Personal liability while you’re working (including volunteer work);
  • Work with machinery or heavy/industrial equipment;
  • Work at a height above 2 metres;
  • Work on offshore and underground, including in caves;
  • Work as a ski, snowboard or diving instructor or guide;
  • Work as a guide where ropes or other specialist climbing equipment is required;
  • Work involving hazardous activities;
  • Anything listed in the General Exclusions, Specific Exclusions or any other exclusion in the policy.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance.

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1) (For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018)
  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (GMT/BST) (For policies purchased before 1 November 2018)

Contact us


For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018:

0800 260 5081

+353 21 237 8000


For policies purchased before 1 November 2018:

0330 660 0738

+44 (0) 330 660 0738