Can I buy a travel insurance policy if I'm already overseas?

As a UK resident, you have the flexibility to purchase a travel insurance policy even while you're already traveling in another country. Whether you're on a work assignment, studying abroad, or simply exploring new horizons, World Nomads welcomes you to obtain coverage that suits your needs. Here's what you need to know:

Buying a policy away from home:

  • If you decide to purchase a policy while you're away from your home country, there is a waiting period of 72 hours before the insurance coverage for any new events takes effect.

Coverage for serious injury in connection with an accident:

  • In the event of a serious injury resulting from an accident, cover is available from the date your policy commenced. To ensure the validity of the claim, the accident must be witnessed and verified by an independent third party.

Extending your policy:

  • You can also extend the policy period while away from home by signing into your World Nomads membership, as long as you extend it before the policy end date (by 11.59pm GMT on the end date shown on your policy), up to a maximum duration of 12 months from the original start date; conditions apply to extensions.

Understanding your policy:

  • You should read the policy wording for full details on your eligibility to buy a policy and when cover starts and ends. You must ensure you understand what's included and what's not, as well as the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions. If you have any questions get in touch.

Left home without travel insurance?

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance.

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1) (For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018)
  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (GMT/BST) (For policies purchased before 1 November 2018)

Contact us


For policies purchased on or after 1 November 2018:

0800 260 5081

+353 21 237 8000


For policies purchased before 1 November 2018:

0330 660 0738

+44 (0) 330 660 0738