For information relating to policies purchased prior to 17 June 2021, please check the Policy Wording provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased from 17 June 2021 please see below.
Travel Insurance cover for COVID-19 related events
So, you’ve had enough of lockdown and want to start planning your next trip... but you're worried about COVID-19 and if your travel insurance will cover your expenses if you catch it. It’s smart to be prepared and taking the time to make sure you've got the travel insurance coverage you think you might need is always a good idea.
How World Nomads travel insurance for COVID-19 works
The level of COVID-19 cover depends on where you’re from and which plan you select. We have two plans, Standard and Explorer, and the level of cover and benefit limits vary depending on which you purchase.
At a glance
- Overseas medical expenses and evacuation: On all our Standard and Explorer plans, we cover emergency overseas medical assistance, medically necessary evacuation, and repatriation if you get sick or die from Coronavirus (COVID-19) while travelling overseas.
- Coronavirus Travel Costs: On our Explorer Plan, we also offer cover for some additional costs associated with some COVID-19 related events. Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything, so read your policy carefully and make sure you know what’s covered and what’s not before you buy. Waiting periods and benefit limits also apply.
As our plans vary, check carefully the level of cover you think you might need, and purchase the right level of cover for you and your travel plans. If you, your friends or your family you’re travelling with get sick with COVID-19 while on the road, our travel insurance may help you with:
On the Standard and Explorer Plan, we cover your emergency overseas medical expenses which include:
• Prescribed medication
• Doctor’s visits
• Repatriation to your home if deemed medically necessary; and
• If the worst happens - repatriation of your remains or local cremation or funeral overseas and when necessary, costs for your next of kin to travel with your remains.
It's important to note you need to contact our Emergency Assistance team before making any plans, regardless of whether you’re already receiving treatment and what your treating doctor says. They can guide you to appropriate local medical facilities, help set up direct payments so you’re not out of pocket, and help you navigate local customs. Their network has a global reach, so wherever you are, they can help.
On the Explorer Plan we also cover:
In addition to the emergency overseas medical and evacuation cover, on our Explorer Plan we may offer cover under our Coronavirus Travel Costs section for some COVID-19 related events up to the combined benefit limit for the following:
Cancellation costs: You may be able to claim for cancellation cost, up to the Coronavirus Travel Costs benefit limits, if you have to cancel your trip because:
- You or a member of your travelling party are unfit to travel due to being diagnosed with COVID-19; or
- A close relative back home is hospitalised or dies due to COVID-19.
- If you’re a healthcare, residential care or law enforcement worker and your or their pre-arranged leave is cancelled by the employer due to COVID-19, we’ll pay the non-refundable portion of your pre-paid travel arrangements.
Note: A 48-hour time excess (waiting period) applies from the issue date of your Certificate of Insurance for the Coronavirus Travel Costs pre-trip cancellation cover benefit in the Coronavirus Travel Costs section.
Child and pet care costs: If you get sick with COVID-19 while overseas and you can't look after your children or pets, we may be to help with:
- Child care costs
- Pet care costs
Other Coronavirus Travel Costs benefits (Explorer Plan only):
- Quarantine: If you’re suspected of having COVID-19 or have been confirmed as having been in close contact with a case and are unexpectedly quarantined as a result, we may be able to help with unexpected quarantine costs such as travel, meals and accommodation costs, as well as help with additional expenses, including in-room entertainment.
- Unexpected additional travel and accommodation: If you’re unable to stay at your pre-booked accommodation due to it being closed for cleaning following a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the accommodation, we’ll pay for your reasonable additional travel and accommodation nearby. You must provide written confirmation of the closure from the provider.
- Denied boarding: If you’re denied boarding your plane, train or other scheduled transport during your trip because you’re suspected of having COVID-19, we may be able to help with unexpected additional accommodation, meals and transport costs as needed.
There are terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations relating to all these scenarios, and you will be required to provide us relevant proof such as medical diagnoses, receipts and other written confirmation of any compensation that has been offered to you or denied.
NOTE: We will not pay more than £1,250 per person; the maximum amount we will pay for all claims combined under the Coronavirus Travel costs section is shown under Summary of Cover for the plan you have selected.
You should also read what we won't cover in the Specific Exclusions to the Coronavirus Travel Costs section and the General Exclusions, which are applicable to all sections.
“Our family of Nomads were in the UK when they got ill and were unable to travel on. As the hospital system wouldn't admit them as it was overwhelmed with Coronavirus cases they had to find help elsewhere. Our EA team facilitated payment for a doctor to see them in their hotel, and a nurse to visit daily to administer their treatment, they also helped reschedule their flights through their airline.” Australian family visiting the UK - Claim Paid AUD was $28,953.45.
What’s not covered for COVID-19 related events under any of our plans
Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Common claims scenarios where there's no cover include:
- Cancellation and trip interruption for COVID-19 cover is not offered under the Cancellation, Curtailment & Trip Resumption section and is only available for the specific events set out in the Coronavirus Travel Costs section
- The purchasing of a policy, or making travel arrangements after you become aware of circumstances that may impact your travel plans
- Ignoring your doctor’s advice
- A change of mind, disinclination or reluctance to travel, including if you’re fit to travel
- Travelling to, planning to travel to, or choosing to remain in a country or region that has a warning of 'Do Not Travel' or ‘Avoid Non-essential Travel’ issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- Any expenses once you return home including any costs within your home country once your remains are returned to your next of kin
- If a pre-existing condition causes your death (unless otherwise stated in the policy)
- If you refuse repatriation, we will limit our cover for that condition to what it would have cost to come home. After that, your medical and related costs will be coming out of your own pocket.
Any exclusions in the Specific Exclusions sections and the General Exclusions sections of the policy
This is not a full list of what's covered and not covered. There are terms, limits, conditions and exclusions that apply, so for more information, read your policy carefully before you buy and if you’ve still got a question, get in touch.