If you want to go sailing/yachting while abroad, there’s cover available but you must choose the right adventure sports coverage depending on where you’ll be sailing and an additional premium may be applicable.
If sailing is on your ‘to do’ list, it’s as simple as adding ‘sailing’ when getting buying a policy. You will need to know a bit about where you’ll be sailing though, such as inside or outside coastal waters, as there are some special conditions and exclusions to this cover depending on what type of sailing you'll be doing, so be aware of this.
When sailing outside coastal waters, you MUST be within 60 miles of a safe haven or you will not be covered if something goes wrong. A 'safe haven' is a protected body of water used by marine craft for refuge from storms or heavy seas.
Be sure to add all the adventures and activities you plan to try on your trip when you buy your policy. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued.
How it works
For cover to apply when sailing at any level, you must be supervised by a professional, qualified instructor/licensed operator or guide or hold the appropriate membership, certification and/or licence from an accredited organisation for the activity.
If you suffer a serious illness or injury while out sailing, your policy may cover:
- Evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by helicopter if medically necessary and available);
- Emergency medical expenses overseas for treatment at the hospital or local medical facility and/or;
- Repatriation home if you’re injured and unable to continue your trip.
If something happens, you or someone with you must contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team immediately and remain in contact until you no longer require treatment or assistance.
Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
What’s not covered
Here are some of the main things that aren’t covered:
- Your personal liability while you’re sailing/yachting.
- Sailing /yachting at a professional level i.e. you are being paid or sponsored;
- You are competing at international events as a national representative.
- ‘Search and rescue’ if you become lost at sea or at any other time.
- Anything else that's listed in the General Exclusions, Specific Exclusions and any other exclusions in the policy
The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms, conditions limitations and exclusions in the policy wording for full details on what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you have nay further questions please get in touch.