If you have had to cancel your much-anticipated summer trip abroad because you, or someone in your traveling party, has been diagnosed with a confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19) then you may be covered.
What’s covered if I need to cancel my trip due to Covid-19?
- If you or a member of your travelling party are diagnosed with Coronavirus, and you must cancel your trip, or,
- If your close relative back in your Country of Residence is hospitalised or dies due to Coronavirus and you must cancel your trip, we will pay the non-refundable portion of your pre-paid travel arrangements, up to policy limits.
What are pre-paid travel arrangements?
Pre-paid travel arrangements include transport, accommodation, tours and experiences, tuition/course fees, visas, frequent flyer points and travel agency cancellation fees.
What evidence of positive diagnosis do I need to provide to claim?
- If you or a member of your traveling party are diagnosed with Coronavirus, the attending medical practitioner must certify that, due to the diagnosis, you or the member of your traveling party, are medically unfit to continue with your original travel plans.
- Any diagnosis of coronavirus must be made after the policy purchase in order to be covered under pre-trip cancellation benefits.
How do I make a claim?
To make a claim for pre-trip cancellation due to a confirmed diagnosis of Covid-19:
- Make sure you have evidence from the attending medical practitioner that due to the diagnosis you are medically unfit to continue with your original travel plans
- Cancel your trip
- Be sure to keep receipts for anything related to your trip including cancellations as you may need to provide these to us
- Keep any written reports from providers or local authorities regarding the cancellation.
- Lodge a claim online
- If you need any help with your claim, you can always contact us.
Is anything else covered for Covid-19?
All our policies include cover for overseas medical expenses and medical repatriation/evacuation if you get Covid-19 whilst travelling, and need medical assistance.
What happens if I’m diagnosed with Covid-19 whilst travelling and need medical help?
Call our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team immediately for advice on what to do and where to go.
What is the Coronavirus Travel Costs benefit?
Depending on the type of policy you have, and your country of residence, you may be able to get cover for Coronavirus Travel Costs. This benefit is available on our Explorer Plan.
World Nomad offers two insurance plans – Standard and Explorer - each of which offers different levels of coverage depending on your travel needs.
It is up to you to choose the plan that has the right level of coverage to meet your travel needs. Check out your policy wording and contact us if you’re unsure what your cover includes.
If you have the Explorer plan, you may be covered for Coronavirus travel costs, which includes cover up to policy limits for:
- Contracting Covid-19 and causing your quarantine;
- A healthcare worker's leave being cancelled; or
- You being denied boarding due to your suspected infection with coronavirus
Where can I go for more info?
For additional answers to questions about travel and COVID-19 check out the following articles:
Keep in mind that travel insurance isn't designed to cover everything. Read your policy wording carefully and make sure you know what's covered and what's not before you buy. Terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions apply. If you're not sure if something is covered or how to claim, contact us.
Coronavirus cover and Australian Government advice levels