Getting a passport stolen is never a pleasant experience. If your passport has been stolen or damaged, World Nomads travel insurance has coverage for stolen or damaged travel documents. Make sure you get a report from the police or local authorities.
What does your coverage offer?
World Nomads travel insurance plans have coverage for the following documents:
• Driver’s licenses
• Birth certificates
• Travel visas
You can claim up to the maximum limit stated in the policy towards the replacement of your passport or one or more other travel documents mentioned above.
Read your policy for more details. Passport coverage falls under the “Baggage and Personal Effects” section.
What to do if your passport has been stolen
Remember to stay calm! Getting a passport stolen sucks, but you wouldn’t be the first person it’s ever happened to while travelling. Embassies and government agencies often have established methods of dealing with stolen passports, and the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team is also here to help.
1. Report the theft of your passport to the police or local authorities and get a written report.
2. Contact the closest Government of Canada office abroad to sort out an emergency passport. If you need help locating one, call the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
3. Remember to keep receipts and documentation provided to you by the government.
What may not be covered?
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything. For example, there may not be coverage if:
• Your passport is left unsupervised in a public place.
• You do not get a written police report as soon as possible.
• Your passport is damaged or lost due to wear and tear.
This is only a summary of coverage and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. It is important you read and understand your policy as it contains benefits, conditions, exclusions and pre-existing condition exclusions. If you do not understand your coverage or if you have questions, just ask us.
If you need help, you can call the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team any time you want.