Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?

Motorcycling for Canadians while abroad or out of province is one of the more dangerous activities our nomads undertake. While our plans include coverage for motorbike riding, conditions apply and not all biking adventures are included. 

What does your coverage offer?

Whether you’re cruising along route 66 on a motorbike or putt-putting through Vietnam on a scooter, there’s nothing quite like exploring on two wheels. That’s why our coverage may include: 

  • Riding as a secondary passenger on road or as a passenger in a motor racing experience (provided that the drivers are appropriately licensed)

  • Moped or motorbiking on the road 

  • Trail bike or off-road motorbiking (An upgrade is required)

Just remember – “feeling the wind in your hair” is great in concept, but you should always wear a helmet and make sure you’re properly licensed even if the local laws say you don’t have to be. Otherwise, you may find yourself with no coverage on the wrong end of a motorbike accident.

If you’re not sure if your planned adventure is included in your plan, contact us and we can tell you. Better to know before you hit the road what you’re covered for… 

How it works

You must take all the usual safety precautions when riding a motorcycle. You must be legally allowed to ride in the relevant country and have the appropriate Canadian license as well.

If you’re unfortunate enough to have an accident while riding a motorcycle, your insurance may cover:

Evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when necessary and available)

Emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at the local medical centre

Repatriation if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip

Contact the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team immediately if you need medical attention. You’ll need to get the team’s approval before undergoing any procedures. Be sure to keep any medical reports for when you need to make a claim.

What’s not covered

Unfortunately, we don’t cover bruised egos and idiots. That means no stunts and no tricks. Other things that aren’t covered: 


Motor racing (driver or passenger in a motorsport show, race, competition or rally)

Damage to the vehicle

Riding while intoxicated

This is only a summary of coverage and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy.  It is important you read and understand your policy as it contains benefits, conditions, exclusions and pre-existing condition exclusions.  If you do not understand your coverage or if you have questions, just ask us.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 7:00am - 7:00pm (CST)

Contact us


Within Canada & continental USA, toll free:
1 877 328 2528

International collect:
+1 416 646 3723