If you decide to travel longer than expected, we can help keep you covered. Your policy may be extended up to a maximum 12 months.
If you’re travelling and want to extend your trip, you can purchase a policy extension by signing into your World Nomads membership. You can also buy a new policy if your original one has expired.
To qualify for a policy extension:
- You must not have made a claim, or have a reason to claim, on your original policy.
- You must be covered by your government health insurance plan (GHIP) for the entire duration of your trip. Otherwise, your aggregate limit for all emergency medical benefits will be capped at $40,000 CAD.
- You must be 64 years or younger at the time of the additional purchase.
Please note that:
- Policy extensions cannot be refunded.
- The 10-day “Right to Examine” period does not apply.
- Full coverage does not go into effect until 48 hours after you purchased an extension.
How to buy more travel insurance
Simply sign into your World Nomads membership, select your current policy and follow the links to extend your policy.
Your policy will be extended for the duration you choose, up to a year maximum from the original date of the policy. Your policy certificate will be re-issued and saved in your membership.
What’s not covered for policy extensions?
- Any medical or dental conditions that you suffered during the term of your original policy. These count as pre-existing conditions, and that means if you or any member of your travelling party got sick or injured before you purchased your extension, these conditions won’t be covered.
This is only a summary of coverage and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. It is important you read and understand your policy as it contains benefits, conditions, exclusions and pre-existing condition exclusions. If you do not understand your coverage, or if you have questions, just ask us.