If you decide to travel longer than expected, we can help keep you covered. Your policy may be extended up to a maximum 12 months (365 days from your original policy start date).
If you’re travelling and want to extend your trip, you can purchase a policy extension by signing into your World Nomads membership. You can also buy a new policy if your original one has expired.
Simply sign into your World Nomads membership, select your current policy and follow the links to extend your policy or buy a new policy.
To qualify for a policy extension:
- Your request for an extension must be made and approved by World Nomads prior to your original return date
- You must pay the required additional premium before your original return date
- You must not have made a claim, or have a reason to claim, on your original policy
- You must be covered by your government health insurance plan (GHIP) for the entire duration of your trip. Otherwise, your aggregate limit for all emergency medical benefits will be capped at $40,000 CAD
- You must still be considered a Canadian resident and must have been eligible for the insurance that you seek to extend at the time of your original booking of your trip and at the time of your request for the extension
- You must be less than 66 years of age at the time of the additional purchase.
Please note that:
- Policy extensions cannot be refunded.
- The 10-day 'Right to Examine' period does not apply.
What’s not covered for policy extensions?
If you have sought emergency medical treatment or filed a claim for emergency medical treatment prior to extending your trip, any subsequent medical treatment related to your emergency will not be covered under the extension of coverage.
Your policy can be extended for the duration you choose, up to a year (365 days) maximum from the original date of the policy. Your policy certificate will be re-issued and saved in your membership.
How to buy more travel insurance
Did you forget to buy travel insurance before your left home, or did your World Nomads policy expire? World Nomads travel insurance can be purchased after you have left your home. Simply sign into your World Nomads membership and purchase a new policy.
What’s not covered?
If you purchase your policy after departure from your home province, there is no coverage for injury or sickness that occurs in the 48-hour period after your policy departure date. The maximum trip duration coverage under any one or more World Nomads travel insurance policy is 365 days from the original trip departure date as indicated on your original policy certificate.
This is only a summary of coverage and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. It is important you read and understand your policy as it contains benefits, conditions, exclusions and pre-existing condition exclusions. If you do not understand your coverage, or if you have questions, just ask us.