How it works: Adventure sports, activities and experiences

  • While we all dream of adventure, we also need to keep it real. Please keep in mind that there are limits and exclusions to cover for some activities, and you may need to include an upgrade when you buy your policy.

    Do I need to upgrade my cover?

    If you plan to do a particular activity while you’re away, please check out the full list. It tells you which activities we cover (or not), whether they have special exclusions (most do), and if you will need to include an upgrade when you buy your cover.

    Both the Standard and Explorer plans include all the Level 1 activities, such as dancing, surfing and roller hockey. If you want to step up the adventure, you can upgrade to Level 2 or Level 3 cover for an additional premium. Each level includes all the activities from the level below. If your activity isn't in the list please contact us to check if it can be covered.

    Just remember that you can’t upgrade mid-way through your policy period, so please choose carefully when you buy your policy.

    What’s included for adventure sports, activities and experiences?

    If you break a string on your air guitar or your squash game gets literal, World Nomads policies may cover:

    ·         Emergency medical expenses overseas.

    ·         Medical evacuation and repatriation, if necessary.

    ·         Reasonable travel and accommodation expenses for a loved one to come to your side while you’re in hospital, or to accompany your child home.

    ·         Personal accident (Explorer plan only, and some activities are excluded), which offers extra cover if you die or are permanently disabled.

    If you have an accident while participating in an adventure sport or activity, please contact World Nomads 24/7 Emergency Assistance. We can help you find appropriate medical care, arrange transportation, assist with the paperwork and more.

    What’s not covered for adventure sports, activities and experiences?

    With such a wide range of activities in the policy, there are also plenty of exclusions and conditions, depending on the activity. Please read the policy wording so there’ll be no surprises if you need to make a claim.

    Some things we don’t cover include:

    ·         If you are paid to participate in or train for a competition or race.

    ·         Risky activities such as BASE jumping, motorsports, stunts, rodeo, and others.

    ·         If you aren’t licensed for that activity or class of vehicle at home and in the country you’re doing it. You’ll also need to wear a helmet if required at home, regardless of the local laws.

    ·         Unapproved expeditions to remote areas.

    ·         You enter areas that are closed, restricted or known to be unsafe or dangerous.

    ·         If the activity involves working with dangerous animals (and no, we’re not referring to your CFO).

    ·         For sports gear damaged while in use or stolen while unattended.

    ·         Any other reason listed under the General Exclusions, which apply to the whole policy.

    This is only a summary of cover and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. You should read your policy wording in full so you understand what is and isn’t covered. That way there won’t be any surprises if you need to use it. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us