Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?

For information relating to policies purchased prior to 8 November 2022, please check the Policy Wording provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased from 8 November 2022, please see below.

There’s cover available under the policy if you want to go for a ride on a motorbike or moped (scooter) while abroad, but be sure to choose the right adventure sports coverage depending on what type of bike you’ll ride and what you'll be doing.

What’s covered?

Please be aware that this policy cannot cover you for motorbike touring or when using a motorbike as your main mode of transport while travelling abroad. This can’t be added, even for an additional premium.

When buying your travel insurance, simply add Motor biking or Moped riding/Scooter biking to the list of your sports and activities when getting your quote. Restrictions apply depending on what type of riding you’ll be doing, e.g., on-road, off-road, trail biking etc, and the size of the bike/engine.
You must add all the sports and activities you plan to try on your trip and pay any applicable additional premium when you buy your policy. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued.

How it works

To receive cover when riding a motor bike or moped, you must take all the usual safety precautions including:

  • Wearing a helmet.

  • Obeying the local road rules.

  • Having a valid motorbike licence in your Country of Residence and in the local country for the size of bike (engine) you’re operating (different cc machines require different licences and levels of cover under the policy).

If you have an accident and are injured, cover is available for:

  • Evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by helicopter if medically necessary and available).

  • Emergency medical expenses overseas for treatment at the hospital or local medical facility.

  • Repatriation home if you’re injured and unable to continue your trip.

  • If something happens, you or someone with you must contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team immediately and remain in contact until you no longer require treatment or assistance.

Who pays for medical treatment depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.

What’s not covered?

Here are some of the main things that aren’t covered:

  • Theft or damage to the motorbike or moped, whether owned, borrowed or rented.

  • Your personal liability while riding or using the vehicle. 

  • Any of your belongings left unattended with your motorbike.

  • Riding a motorbike at a professional level i.e. you are being paid or sponsored.

  • If you compete at international events as a national representative or in any motor sports, including racing or participating in speed or time trials.

  • Anything else that's listed in the General and Specific Exclusions of the policy.

The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions in the policy wording for full details on what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you’re not sure if something is covered get in touch.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1)

Contact us


For policies purchase on or after 2 December 2018:

+353 21 237 8006


For policies purchased before 2 December 2018:

+61 2 8256 1542