You may be covered for the theft of your cash. Read on to find out if this cover is applicable to you.
Yes! There’s cover but only if:
1. you are covered by the Explorer Plan ; and
2. your cash has been stolen under specific circumstances.
What does World Nomads cover if cash is stolen?
You can claim up to a maximum of $250 (per policy – Explorer Plan only) for cash if stolen:
- while you're carrying it
- when it is supervised and within your reach and view.
- from a locked safe, locked safety box or locked compartment, which is out of public view and public access, and where there's visible evidence of damage and forced entry.
What you need to do if your cash is stolen
- report the theft to the police immediately or as soon as reasonably possible (and have them mention the signs of damage in their report). In addition, get the accommodation staff to see it and give you an official report. Also, take your own photos… it all helps
- When making a claim, you’ll need the police report, proof of the initial bank withdrawal, foreign exchange receipts or receipt numbers of travellers cheques, postal orders or money orders. Why? Because as much as we’d like to take your word for it, sadly there are people who try to pull a swiftie on us with cash, so we’re going to need to see some evidence. We’re a bit tough but it keeps premiums down for everyone. Hope you understand.
- Any claim submitted will have the $100 policy excess applied.
What’s not covered
There’s no cover for stolen cash if it’s been left unsupervised or if you don’t take reasonable care to protect it.That means if it’s in a backpack you put down to take a photo, or if it’s in a handbag hanging from the back of a chair in a busy restaurant - that kind of situation.
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the policy wording for what is and isn’t covered. It’s a hassle, so why not follow our tips on keeping your money safe while travelling? Read them here.