Photo © Yulkapopkova/IStock

Dental Travel Insurance.

For when pain wipes the smile off your face.

    Trusted by:

  • Trusted by:

This information is for New Zealand residents.

No one likes going to the dentist, and even less when it's not your regular dentist. But teeth can crack and infections can strike, regardless of where you are in the world. A pitted olive that wasn't; a very, very sticky caramel... it's the worst sort of surprise. World Nomads can help you out with emergency dental cover.

What does travel insurance cover for overseas dental? 

If something happens, we only cover healthy teeth and teeth with fillings. We may cover those teeth if you suddenly have

  • A cracked or chipped tooth
  • A dental infection
  • Dental surgery resulting from an accident

Cover is limited, and we may need to talk to your dentist back home to see what your teeth were like before you left. Just remember, the policy comes with a $100 excess which will be deducted from your claim.

What's not covered

In short, pretty much anything that's not on the list above. Specifically, there are a few straight-up things you're never covered for:

  • Anything routine, or that can wait until you're home
  • Getting your teeth straightened in Thailand
  • Cosmetic dentistry: teeth whitening, implants, braces
  • Dental problems you knew about before you bought the policy

A lot of the time, our cover will be limited to patching the problem, such as a temporary filling, a pain-relieving injection, that sort of thing. The big stuff will have to wait until you get home. As always, read the policy wording and check out our article on dental cover before you buy.

How to get dental assistance

It’s essential that you get in contact with our Sydney based emergency assistance team as soon as possible so that our teams can support you from the time your fall sick of get injured until the time you get home.

So that our Emergency Assistance teams can assist you quickly, please be ready with the following:

  • Your policy number
  • A contact number for where you are now
  • The nature of your problem
  • Your location

White water rafting accident.

While on a white water rafting tour I broke my two front teeth. This happened when I lost balance while going over a rapid, resulting in the back of my paddle hitting my mouth and breaking the lower half of my right front tooth and leaving a smaller fracture in the left front tooth. Immediately following the tour the guide assisted me in finding a local dentistry where I could get the emergency treatment for the pain and to repair the teeth. Because of the damage to the right front tooth it required a full crown, while the crack in the left tooth could be repaired with a veneer. This was a temporary repair and long term it was also recommended that I may also need a root canal.
Claim paid: AUD $500
Kiwi Nomad in Ecuador.

Travel Insurance Benefits: how we can take care of you

Trip Cancellation

Protect your trip from unexpected cancellation.

  • Explorer Plan: Unlimited
  • Standard Plan: $3,500
Trip Protection
  • Have you died?
  • Has one of your relos died?
  • Has an earthquake damaged your home?

We’ve got your back.

Emergency Medical Overseas

Take the pain out of medical costs.

  • Explorer Plan: Unlimited
  • Standard Plan: $5,000,000
Emergency Medical Insurance
  • Need medicine?
  • Accidentally injured?
  • Suddenly sick?

We’ve got your back.

Emergency Medical Transport

We'll get you to hospital in a flash

  • Explorer Plan: Unlimited
  • Standard Plan: $500,000
Evacuation and Repatriation
  • Banged up overseas?
  • Medivac needed home?
  • You died overseas?

Help starts here.

Protect your gear

Cover your stolen or damaged gear and tech.

  • Explorer Plan: $10,000
  • Standard Plan: $2,000
Protect your gear
  • Damaged docs?
  • Passport pilfered?
  • Tech Trashed?

Help starts here.

  • Overseas Medical Expenses
  • Emergency dental treatment
  • 24 hour assistance
  • Emergency medical transport & repatriation
  • Cancellation costs
  • Trip interruption costs
  • Compassionate emergency visit home
  • Resumption of trip
  • Theft or accidental damage to baggage and personal items
  • Baggage delay over 12 hours
  • Funeral expenses overseas or repatriation of remains
  • Personal liability
This is a general summary for New Zealand residents only. Restrictions, exclusions and limitations will apply. Benefit limits may vary depending on the plan chosen. Check the policy documents for full details.

24/7 emergency assistance

If you need medical assistance or emergency medical evacuation our team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year before and during your trip.

Are you in need of emergency assistance right now?

Phone: +61 2 8263 0470; or
Phone: +61 2 8292 1470 (reverse charges via an operator from anywhere in the world)

Contact the team
Wherever you are, whatever has happened, our multi-lingual assistance teams are here to help you and your family.
Aurelie's portrait photo
Aurelie Menard,
Emergency Assistance, World Nomads

Travel insurance. Simple & flexible.

Travel insurance for independent travelers and intrepid families. Nobody wants to think about all the things that could go wrong on their trip, but these things can and do happen. So be prepared and get your travel insurance today.

World Nomads Travel Insurance was reviewed on Trust Pilot on 1st August 2017 and rated 4 stars


Here are our most frequently asked questions about overseas medical insurance. You can also find the answers to other questions in our Helpdesk or you can ask our customer service team. If you’re looking for general travel advice, you can ask our community at Ask a Nomad.