Travel Insurance & Scuba Diving

If you're exploring the world's best dive sites or trying scuba diving for the first time, we've got you covered!

Get a quote

Trusted by:

Lonely Planet Rough Guides National Geographic Channel

Scuba Diving & Travel Insurance

If you want to scuba dive on your travels, we totally understand why. But if you're not properly trained before you dive into your underwater adventure, the risk of serious accident can be substantial. That's why, to be covered you either must:

  • be certified, that is, hold a valid scuba diving licence
  • dive under qualified and licensed instruction if not certified
  • dive no deeper than your dive license allows and/or your policy allows

What we cover

Recreational scuba diving is only covered when you choose the right plan or adventure sport option when buying your policy . Then, if something goes wrong there’s cover for:

  • Overseas medical expenses for sudden illness or serious injury
  • Medical evacuation to the nearest facility for treatment
  • Treatment in a decompression chamber if required
  • Repatriation home if something serious has happened

Top questions about Scuba Diving

  • We are thinking of doing a dive course as part of our trip. Are we covered?

    If you don't yet have a scuba diving license but want to do a course and get one as part of your trip, you are covered for this as long as the operator of that course is professionally licensed.

    For your protection, it is your responsibility to make sure the operator you go with is legally licensed to take you.

    Also be sure you choose the correct plan or adventure sport option when buying a policy as it’s not possible to upgrade the activity level once you’ve bought it.

  • Do you cover recovery in a Hyperbaric Chamber if required?

    Yes. If you become seriously ill while diving and need urgent medical assistance, we’ll cover emergency treatment at hospital including a decompression chamber if medically necessary, medical evacuation including by helicopter if necessary and available, and repatriation home if you’re seriously ill and unable to continue your trip. All medical evacuation must be approved in advance by our Emergency Assistance team.

  • I am qualified to 30m but wish to dive to 40m under instruction to further my training. Am I covered?

    Yes, as long as you dive under licensed instruction.

  • What about cover for other types of diving?

    Most plans exclude cover for free diving, solo diving and commercial diving. Some plans also have restrictions on cover for cavern or cave diving, so check your policy carefully before you're more adventurous underwater.

  • Am I covered working as a scuba dive instructor or guide?

    Most plans have restrictions on cover if you're in a dive accident while working as a dive guide or instructor (some exclude cover altogether), so check your policy carefully before you buy it.

What's not covered

  • Any dive which takes you below your current qualification limits, or any dive which takes you below the scuba activity level you chose when buying your policy under any circumstances.
  • Scuba diving without a license unless under licensed instruction
  • Intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care except in an attempt to save a human life
  • Any search and rescue expenses
  • Any on-going medical expenses once you return to your home country
  • Shark cage diving if you're Canadian
  • anything mentioned in the General Exclusions for the plan you choose

All travel insurance plans are different and cover will vary, depending what's happened, your country of residence, the plan you choose and any options or upgrades you buy. Your policy will always have the full details.

If you have questions about what's covered and not covered, just ask us.