How it works: Adventure sports, activities and experiences

Bungee jumping, white water rafting, mountain biking, cycle touring, scuba diving, scooter riding, trekking, camel riding! There’s over 200 covered adventure sports, work, study & volunteer experiences that you can try while you’re away.

What you need to know

First, check out the list of sports that can be covered.

Then, when you’re buying your policy, add all the activities you plan to try on your trip. Just remember that you won’t be able to make changes after you buy your policy.

Check the policy wording carefully for any specific requirements related to the adventure sports,  work or other activities you’ll be doing; e.g. you may need to be qualified/licensed or be with a professional qualified/licensed guide or operator in order to be covered (see Section 17 – Work,Sports and Activities)

Adding some higher risk activities may also add a bit extra to the cost of your policy (for obvious reasons).

What if I want to try an activity that I didn’t list on my policy when I bought it?

If a sport or activity isn’t listed on your policy, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t be covered if you want to give it a try during your trip. So how do you find out if it’s covered? Easy!

  • Look on your policy certificate for the level of coverage you have for the activities you chose (it’ll be Level 1, 2 or 3).
  • You’re automatically covered for all the activities listed at this level and the lower levels. For example, if your certificate says Level 3, you are covered for Level 3, Level 2 and Level 1 activities.
  • So where is this list of sports, activities and experiences and the corresponding levels of cover? It's here and also in Section 17 of the policy wording!
  • If the activity you want to try is listed at a higher level than the level stated on your policy certificate, then unfortunately your policy can’t cover this.  You’ll need to buy a new policy to cover your higher level activity.

What’s covered

When you’ve listed your activity correctly, if something goes wrong while participating, the cover that may be available includes:

  • Emergency Medical Expenses overseas
  • Evacuation and Repatriation
  • Curtailment
  • Personal Liability (although read the policy wording for exclusions eg when you’re working or volunteering)

We're pretty sure we've thought of most of the activities and experiences our adventurous travellers might want to try, but if what you want to do isn't listed, just contact us and we'll confirm if it can be covered or not.

Can I change my travel insurance policy while traveling?

What’s not covered

There may be specific exclusions and conditions that apply depending on what you'll be doing. You'll find these in the policy wording where we tell you what is not covered while participating in an adventure sport or activity. Also, be sure to read the General Exclusions for other scenarios and expenses we don’t cover. Of course always read the full terms, conditions and exclusions in the policy wording so there’ll be no surprises if you need to use it.

To give you an idea, there’s no cover:

  • If you receive any kind of financial reward (like an appearance fee, a wage or salary) to participate in or train for a competition or race;
  • If you're riding a motorbike or scooter without a helmet or without the proper licences;
  • For sporting equipment damaged while in use.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance.

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1) (For policies purchase on or after 1 November 2018)
  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (GMT/BST) (For policies purchased before 1 November 2018)

Contact us


For policies purchased on or after 1 November 2018:

0800 260 5081

+353 21 237 8000


For policies purchased before 1 November 2018:

0330 660 0738

+44 (0) 330 660 0738