For Residents of the United Kingdom
(Advice as at 17 June 2021; update to advice of 4 March 2020)
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) continues to advise against all travel and all but essential travel to many countries worldwide in response to COVID-19.
Whether or not your policy can cover you for events relating to COVID-19 will depend on:
- The policy and plan you have purchased;
- When you purchased it; and
- The advice level for the country or region.
While a destination has warning against all travel or all but essential travel in place for an event, our travel insurance won't cover you for loss that arises from that event if you travel to, plan to travel to, or choose to remain in in that destination.
This includes claims relating to COVID-19 for travel in a country or region where there is a warning against all travel or all but essential travel in place for an event in place due to COVID-19, regardless of the date your policy is purchased.
Can COVID-19 be covered under my policy?
For policies purchased before 23 Jan 2020:
Check your policy wording as exclusions may apply, including but not limited to exclusions for contagious disease, epidemics, or pandemics.
For policies purchased between 23 Jan - 30 Jan 2020:
Cover is not available for any event relating to COVID-19 for travel to and/or from China.
For other destinations, check your policy wording as exclusions may apply, including but not limited to exclusions for contagious disease, epidemics, or pandemics.
For policies purchased between 31 Jan 2020 – 17 June 2021:
Cover is not available for any event relating to COVID-19 for all destinations.
For policies purchased from 17 June 2021:
Following the release of a new World Nomads product, coverage may be available for events relating to Coronavirus. Refer to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of your policy wording for further information.
You can find previous travel alerts here.
Note: Cover offered by World Nomads varies, and policies purchased may contain exclusions relating to a contagious disease, epidemic or pandemic, to a government prohibition or regulation, or to government advice against travel to a destination. Please read your policy wording for the full policy terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.
If your travel plans are affected:
- Contact your airline, cruise or tour operator to check if tourist services are affected.
- If you need to change your travel arrangements, contact your airline, cruise company or travel agent for assistance in the first instance. Refer to your policy wording for more details, or contact our Customer Service Centre to discuss your plans before making any changes.
- Injured or ill? Contact the emergency assistance team as soon as possible. Their details are listed on your Certificate of Insurance.
- In the event of a claim covered by your policy, you must do everything you can to minimise and reduce the cost of the claim, and provide all supporting documentation of the event and expenses incurred. If you intend to submit a claim, please complete the claim form, and if you need help doing this, contact us.