Yes, your plan provides coverage for the theft, loss or damage to a passport, provided that you’ve taken reasonable care to safeguard your documents when traveling.
What can I make a claim for?
You can make a claim for the cost of a replacement document. If your trip has been delayed at least six hours because your passport was lost or stolen, you can also get reimbursed for:
- Any pre-paid, non-refundable accommodations that have not been used.
- Necessary expenses such as meals and lodging, phone calls, and local transportation that were incurred because of the delay.
What you need to do
Report the loss, theft or damage of your passport as soon as you can to:
- The local police; in the case of theft, it must be done within 24 hours.
- The closest US consulate (https://www.usembassy.gov/).
- The 24/7 Emergency Assistance team, who can help you coordinate a replacement document, get emergency cash and any other part of the process.
When you make a claim, you’ll need to send reports from local police; the receipts for the passport processing fees and copies of all documentation provided by the U.S. government; as well as for the receipts for pre-paid, non-refundable accommodations and any additional expenses incurred, should it apply to your case.