What’s covered under a World Nomads plan?
Sometimes during your trip, something happens that makes you change your itinerary or warrants your return home. Under the Trip Interruption benefit, you could get reimbursed for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel costs if you need to shorten your travels for a covered reason. Reimbursements are up to the maximum amount specified in your policy. You could also be covered for a one-way economy ticket home and any additional accommodation or local transportation expenses as a result of the interruption, up to a per-day limit.
What are covered reasons for Trip Interruption?
Your policy names every covered reason for which you have Trip Interruption. These could include:
- An accident or illness as certified by a doctor
- The death of you, your travel companion or a covered family member
- A terrorist attack in your departure city or a destination on your itinerary
- A strike that puts a stop to travel services for at least 24 hours
- A weather delay that interrupts travel services for at least 24 hours, preventing you from reaching your destination
- The financial default and/or bankruptcy of one of your travel suppliers
- A call to active military duty to provide natural disaster relief or aid
- A work emergency, for either you or your travel companion, which must be documented by your employer
- Read the Trip Interruption section of your policy for more details and any accompanying conditions.
What if my flight is overbooked or cancelled due to staffing issues?
Our policies don’t cover you in the event you can’t board your flight or you have been ‘bumped’ to another flight because it’s been overbooked.
In these cases you should:
- first talk to your airline carrier about getting a new flight booked - either on another flight or with another airline.
- If you have to stay overnight, speak to your airline carrier about accommodation and meal vouchers – most airlines will have options available for you.
If you choose to purchase another flight with another airline you should be aware you may not be covered for these additional expenses.
If your flight is cancelled/delayed due to staffing issues you could have cover under Trip Delay.
Our policies could cover events where your flight is cancelled because of staffing issues or any delay of your common carrier that lasts 6 hours or more. You could be reimbursed for any pre-paid, unused, non-refundable land or water accommodations along with meal, lodging, local transportation, and essential phone call expense that were necessarily incurred due to your delay. Read the Trip Delay section of your policy for more details, benefit limits, and any accompanying conditions.
Things not covered by Trip Interruption insurance
Travel insurance doesn’t cover every circumstance, and when it comes to Trip Interruption, the following exclusions apply:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Wars and invasions
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Accidents and illness that happen when you travel against the recommendations of a physician
- Losses from the participation in professional sports
- Alcohol and drug-related incidents
If you have any questions feel free to contact us.