Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?

If you want to ride a motorbike or moped while overseas, whether just for a day here and there or as your main mode of transport, there’s cover under the policy if you’re properly licensed to ride.

What’s covered

There's cover available if you’re riding a scooter or motorbike on public roads or as a pillion passenger with a licensed rider.

If there’s a chance you’ll be riding off-road, eg on dirt tracks which aren't used for usual traffic or if you’re trail bike riding going cross country, then there’s cover for this too. However, you’ll need to pay a bit extra for this as those dirt roads can be a challenge to navigate at times on two wheels.

How do I add this to my policy?

Simply add ‘motorbike riding’ or ‘scooter riding’ to the list of your sports and activities when getting your quote. It’s that simple! Restrictions apply depending on what type of riding you’ll be doing, so be aware of this by reading the policy wording (Section 8) so you’re covered if something goes wrong.

You must add all the sports and activities you plan to try on your trip when you buy your policy. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued.

What do I need to know?

To be covered when riding a motorbike or moped/scooter, you MUST:

  • Use the Sports & Activities option to add this activity to your policy when you buy it.
  • take all the usual safety precautions when riding a bike and don’t take any needless risks;
  • wear a helmet;
  • obey the local road rules;
  • hold a motorbike licence in Australia for the same class of bike you’ll ride overseas, regardless of the local laws; and
  • hold a licence valid for the country you’re riding in (where local law requires)

If you have an accident and are injured, we’ll cover:

  • Evacuation if urgent and medically necessary (by helicopter if medically necessary and available);
  • Emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or local medical facility; and/or
  • Repatriation home if you’re seriously injured and unable to continue your trip.

If something happens to you, make sure you (or someone else) contact our Emergency Assistance Team as soon as possible so they can arrange your evacuation to the nearest, most appropriate medical facility if medically necessary.

Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.

What's not covered

Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything so do read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the policy wording for what’s covered and not covered (particularly Sections 1 & 2 for medical and evacuation), plus important details on what you need to do if you need help while travelling.

Here are the main things that aren’t covered:

  • if something happens while you’re riding a motorbike/moped overseas and you’re not complying with local laws.
  • theft or damage to the motorbike or moped, whether owned, borrowed or rented.
  • your personal liability while you’re riding (that means we don’t cover any damage to property or injuries to other people that you’re responsible for).
  • any of your belongings left unattended with your motorbike.
  • anything else that's listed in the exclusions of the policy.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm (AEST/ADST)
  • Saturday to Sunday closed (AEST/ADST)

Contact us


Within Australia:
1300 787 375

From anywhere in the world:
+61 2 8256 1542