Am I covered if I’m planning to travel and work long-term at multiple destinations?

If you’re planning on visiting multiple destinations or travelling for 6-12 months, this guide will help you understand how your travel insurance can protect you whilst you’re on the road.

What am I covered for?

If you’re planning on travelling overseas long-term, we offer policies that can cover you for up to 12 months from when your trip starts. Some of the benefits of our policies include:

  • Emergency overseas medical
  • Medical evacuation and repatriation
  • Trip cancellation
  • Travel delays/interruption
  • Cover for up to 150 adventure, work, study and volunteering experiences
  • And more…

Traveller tip: when hunting around for a travel insurance policy, you might be tempted to take the most cost-effective cover without reading through the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) first. It pays to familiarise yourself with all the benefits, policy limits and exclusions before you get a quote. Choose your policy carefully as you can’t upgrade from a Standard Plan to an Explorer Plan mid-trip.

If you’re planning on studying, working or volunteering

If you’re planning on working on your travels, you may be covered for study and work (paid or volunteer) depending on policy type and upgrades you have selected. 

If you’re planning on taking up the digital nomad lifestyle, volunteering, or studying make sure that: 

  • You declare any work, study or activities you intend to do when you purchase your policy, so you can ensure you are covered, as you can’t add them after. If they’re not declared at time of purchase, you may not be covered.
  • You have the appropriate visa to work or study under the local laws of the country you’re visiting.
  • You have the appropriate skills and training and hold the necessary licences and certificates for the work you undertake.

If your travel extends beyond 12 months

You may be able to extend your policy up to a maximum of 12 months from the policy commencement date, which is indicated on your Certificate of Insurance. Extensions must be done prior to 11:59pm AEST/AEDT on the return date shown on your Certificate of Insurance and are subject to eligibility requirements.

If you don’t meet the eligibility requirements to extend your policy, you can still buy a new policy whilst travelling. This new policy is subject to a 72-hour waiting period.

What’s not covered

Our policies aren’t designed to cover everything and there are some important general exclusions you should be aware of, including:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions – see the (PDS) for details.
  • Traveling to, planning to travel to, or choosing to remain in a country or region that is subject to a ‘Do Not Travel’ warning issued by the Australian Government (see
  • Participation in a sport, activity, work, study or volunteering not listed, or failing to adhere to the terms of coverage for listed sports, activities or working arrangements.
  • If you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions or what we or the 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team advise you to do.
  • Being intoxicated by alcohol or drugs.

Got Questions?

 Be sure to read the PDS and General Exclusions for other scenarios and expenses we don’t cover so there’ll be no surprises if you need to use your cover. If you are unsure about your level of travel cover, please contact us.

Travel insurance doesn't cover everything. All the information we provide is a brief summary. It does not include all terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions of the plans described. Please carefully read your PDS for a full description of coverage. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm (AEST/ADST)
  • Saturday to Sunday closed (AEST/ADST)

Contact us


Within Australia:
1300 787 375

From anywhere in the world:
+61 2 8256 1542