For information relating to policies purchased prior to 18 May 2022, please check the Policy Document provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased on or from 18 May 2022 please see below.
If you've had to unexpectedly return back to New Zealand from your travels early you may have cover to help you resume your trip, getting your holiday back on track.
Trip resumption cover helps with reasonable transport and accommodation expenses to get you back on the road.
How it works
There may be trip resumption cover available to you if you've had to return home early because:
- The sudden illness or serious injury of you or your close relative requiring hospitalisation, or the sudden death of your close relative
- A natural disaster or fire striking your home (or your owned business premises) in New Zealand and it's severely damaged.
- You are mugged, physically assaulted, kidnapped or hijacked causing serious injury or psychological harm, which is confirmed in writing by a medical practitioner.
What you must do
Before you even think about returning to where you left off, you must:
- Contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team for approval to use the Resumption of Trip benefit.
- Check that your policy is still active and has not expired at the time you resume your trip, otherwise this benefit is not valid.
- Be aware that if you plan to resume your trip after a compassionate emergency visit concerning your close relative's unexpected death, sudden illness or serious injury caused by an existing medical condition, benefit limits will apply.
Finally, if a compassionate emergency visit has taken you to a country other than New Zealand, you can still resume your trip from this country, but we'll only pay the lesser of what it would cost to resume your trip from this country or from your Country of Residence.
For example: You’re a Kiwi travelling in France. You go to the USA for a compassionate emergency visit. To resume your trip, we’ll compare the costs to get you back to France from New Zealand and from the USA, and we’ll pay the lesser amount.
What’s not covered
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything - some things we don't cover include:
- If you don’t wish to resume your trip, your cover ceases at the time you arrive home, with no refund for any unused portion of your policy.
- Any trip resumption expenses unless pre-approved by us or our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
- Any costs incurred once you get back home.
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.
This is only a summary of cover and does not include the full terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions of the policy. You should read your Policy Document in full, so you understand what is and isn’t covered. If you are unsure about your level of travel cover, please contact us for help.