For information relating to policies purchased prior to 18 May 2022, please check the Policy Document provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased on or from 18 May 2022 please see below.

Yes, there’s cover for cyclones, hurricanes and monsoons!

It goes without saying that you need to have bought your policy before these wily whirling dervishes of destruction become a known natural disaster and warnings have been issued by authorities. So if you’ve done that, we’ll do everything we can to help you.

What is considered a natural disaster?

We have defined natural disaster as the following: flood, cyclone, tornado, hurricane, typhoon, wild fire, tsunami, earthquake, landslide, avalanche, volcanic eruption. ‘Natural disaster’ does not include outbreak of disease, epidemic, pandemic, or any other event that is not specifically included in this definition.

Does World Nomads travel insurance cover medical expenses as a result of a cyclone or hurricane?

Yes. If you’re unlucky enough to be injured by a cyclone or hurricane, our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team can help you get to the nearest medical centre, so you can receive the medical attention you need. If you’re so badly hurt that the Emergency Assistance team decides you need to go home, they can organise to transport you home to New Zealand. However, once you’re home, we’re not able to cover ongoing medical costs, so you’ll need to hit up the New Zealand healthcare system or your private health insurer. You can find out further information on how we help travellers with overseas medical treatment here.

Does World Nomads travel insurance cover pre-trip cancellation if a cyclone or hurricane affects where I’m travelling to?

Yes, there’s cover if you need to cancel or rearrange your trip due to severe weather or a natural disaster. It’s a pretty good idea to give some thought to what kind of trip you’re doing when buying a policy, as the amount you’re covered for depends on which plan you buy.

If my trip is interrupted, what can I claim for?

If you’re already on the road and your trip is interrupted by a natural disaster, you can claim for additional transport and accommodation costs to help you get your trip back on track.

If I have to come home early, can I get a refund on the rest of my policy?

As the policy is outside of its cooling off period and you’ve travelled on it, there are no partial refunds. You are, however, welcome to make a claim for any additional expenses you might have incurred.

How do I claim?

Funnily, we get asked this a lot; so here’s something we prepared earlier: a step by step guide on how to claim.

How do I get help?

It’s important that you contact our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team as soon as you can so that they can help you out. Their details can be found on your certificate of insurance.

This is only a summary of cover and does not include the full terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions of the policy. You should read your Policy Document in full, so you understand what is and isn’t covered. If you are unsure about your level of travel cover, please contact us for help.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 11:00am - 8:00pm (NZST/NZDT)
  • Saturday to Sunday closed (NZST/NZDT)

Contact us


Within New Zealand:
0800 666 237

From anywhere in the world:
+61 2 8256 1542

Within Australia:
1300 787 375