Riding a bicycle for a day here and there, taking a cycle tour or wanting to go mountain biking? There’s cover for these activities, but special conditions apply so read on for details.
- Recreational cycling
- Cycle touring - independently, as part of a group or on an organised tour
- Mountain biking - on roads, cycle ways, cross country trails and downhill
What you must do to be covered
All you need to do is list the cycling activity you want to try when getting your quote. Easy! Restrictions apply to certain cycling activities, so be aware of these.
You must add all the adventures and activities you plan to try on your trip when you buy your policy. You won’t be able to make changes after your policy is issued. Read more about how it all works and what restrictions apply to certain activities here.
How it works
Provided you take all the usual safety precautions such as:
- obeying the road rules
- wearing a helmet if required by local laws or when mountain biking
- following local authority warnings
- not riding into closed or restricted areas on any of the designated trails
then there’s cover if you are injured while riding your bike for:
- evacuation and repatriation if urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means, including helicopter when necessary and available) to get you to the nearest medical facility or back home.
- emergency medical expenses, for treatment at the hospital or local medical centre
If something does happen to you and evacuation is medically necessary, you or someone with you must contact our Emergency Assistance Team as soon as possible.
Who pays for your medical treatment ( and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay the medical facility directly) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
What’s not covered
The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the policy wording for what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you are unsure, contact us for help.
Here are the main things that aren’t covered
- Loss, theft or damage to your bicycle or bicycle accessories, whether owned, borrowed or rented (see Section 4 Exclusion 4b. in the policy wording).
- Your personal belongings if they are left unsupervised
- If you deliberately place yourself in danger
- Any on-going medical expenses once you return to your home country
- Anything mentioned in the General Exclusions