Oh, snap! You missed your connecting flight and now instead of doing the limbo in the Bahamas, your Caribbean vacation is in limbo. If you experience delayed or missed flights, your reasonable and necessary additional expenses – such as local taxis and transport and accommodation costs during your delay – are covered up to the plan limits if:
- The missed flight is not any fault of yours. For example, when en route to a departure you’re delayed by a traffic accident in which you or a traveling companion are not directly involved.
- Your flight is delayed at least six hours or canceled due to severe weather, natural disaster, hijacking or strike, including if it causes you to miss a connecting flight.
And in case you’re wondering what we mean by “reasonable,” that’s the standard of travel or accommodation you were originally booked to use. If you had an economy class ticket on a flight you’ve missed, you can’t upgrade yourself to business without being able to prove that it was reasonable to do so in the circumstances.
How does the World Nomads cover for Delayed and Missed Flights work?
You should do everything you can to avoid or minimize any additional expenses, including accepting any reasonable offers of compensation or rescheduling from your travel service providers before incurring additional expenses. Of course always try to leave yourself 3 hours for check-in and transit, but if you are delayed, call the airline and let them know you’re going to miss a connecting flight – they might be able to rearrange your flight (at no cost) … and don’t be a no-show if you can help it. If you’re going to miss your flight because you’re just running late, that’s not an insured event.
If you make a claim for unexpected and unavoidable expenses you’ll need to provide:
- A written report from the carrier confirming the reason, timing and duration of the unexpected event causing the delay.
- Evidence of any compensation offered by the carrier (if applicable) as well as a copy of your travel itinerary.
- Written confirmation of the accident from an official body in the country where the accident happened, for instance, a police and/or relevant transport authority report (if an accident caused you to miss your flight).
What’s not covered by World Nomads
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the policy wording so there are no surprises if you do need to use it.
Here and the main things that aren’t covered:
- If your airline offers you an alternative flight/transport you are expected to take it. Otherwise, your cover may also be limited.
- Any reason for the delay or missed flight not listed as a covered event, for example you missed your flight because of heavy traffic on the way to the airport.
- If your delayed or missed flight doesn't meet any additional requirements for trip delay or trip interruption coverage
For customer service you can send a message or call Trip Mate direct:
Telephone:+1-844-207-1930 (toll-free within the US and Canada)
Telephone:+1-816-905-3963 (international direct/collect)
The Trip Mate customer service team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your queries.