World Nomads travel insurance offers hiking coverage for Americans traveling abroad or 100 miles or more from home.
- Coverage for trekking, tramping or hiking up to elevations of 19,685 feet.
- The Explorer plan is required for elevations of up to 22,965 feet.
- No coverage for more extreme expeditions, mountaineering or hiking and trekking over elevations of 22,965 feet.
If you’re not sure if we’ll cover your planned adventure or which plan to buy, contact us before you purchase a policy, and we’ll let you know.
How does it work?
If you become seriously ill or injured while trekking or hiking and need urgent medical assistance, coverage may include:
- Emergency evacuation. If it’s an urgent and necessary part of your treatment and pre-approved by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
- Emergency medical expenses. For treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at the local medical center.
- Repatriation If you get into a fatal accident, your remains can be sent back home.
Medical procedures must be pre-approved and arranged by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
What’s not covered
Our travel insurance plans do not support reckless behavior. We expect you to act responsibly and not deliberately put yourself in the path of danger. So, if you’re trekking or hiking while under the influence of alcohol or precariously dangling off the edge of a cliff just for laughs, you most likely won’t be covered. Other exclusions include, but are not limited to:
- Mountaineering, high-altitude climbing or expeditions over 22, 965 feet.
- Mountain guiding, including mountaineering, rock climbing instruction or guiding using rope or specialized equipment.
- Unsupported or solo climbing or solo expeditions, free mountaineering or free soloing.
- Expeditions within exploratory regions or new routes.
- Any medical transportation or additional expenses that are not authorized by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
- Any ongoing medical costs once you get back home.
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.
This is a summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions and exclusions of the plans described. Please refer to the actual plans for complete details of coverage and exclusions.
If you have a question about coverage, contact us.