World Nomads’ plans provide coverage aimed at many mountain biking or cycling activities for Canadian residents who are travelling abroad or out of province. Check your plan carefully before heading down the road as conditions and exclusions apply. You may have to purchase a sports upgrade for an additional premium.
What does your coverage offer?
If the mountain biking and cycling are incidental to your trip (that is, you only plan to go for a day or two here and there, and you’re not using a bike as your main mode of transport) then our plans may cover you for:
- Mountain biking (on or off road; downhill; cross country) up to 3,000 metres in elevation
- Cycling (incidental to the trip; independent touring; or on an organized tour) up to 3,000 metres in elevation
If you opt for the sports and activities upgrade and pay the additional premium for activities labeled “Level 2” and “Level 3,” you may also have coverage for:
- Mountain biking (on or off road; downhill; cross country), up to 6,000 metres in elevation
- Cycling (incidental to the trip; independent touring; or on an organized tour), up to 6,000 metres in elevation
The policies do not cover any cycling or mountain biking on the Yungas Road (Death Road) in Bolivia or any cycling or mountain biking over 6,000 metres. If you’re not sure if your planned adventure is covered, contact us.
How it works
Provided you are acting responsibly, the policies provide coverage for cycling or mountain-biking-related incidents, such as:
- Emergency medical evacuation: If it’s urgent and medically necessary.
- Emergency medical expenses: For treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at the local medical centre.
- Repatriation: If you’re seriously ill or injured, unable to continue your trip and pre-approved by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
- Gear coverage: If you own your bike, coverage may be available but only if it’s damaged or lost by your common carrier (for example, your airline). This coverage is secondary to any coverage provided by your transportation carrier.
Emergency medical procedures and transportation need to be pre-approved and arranged by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team. In some instances, you may be required to pay upfront because the medical facility does not accept travel insurance.
What may not be covered?
Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Our policies exclude:
- Participation in any race or professional sporting event
- Coverage for your bicycle unless checked in as baggage with your transportation carrier
- Any illegal activity
- Any medical transportation or associated expenses that are not pre-authorized or approved by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team
- A loss arising from your willfully exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, including cycling under the influence of drugs or alcohol
This is only a summary of coverage and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. It is important you read and understand your policy as it contains benefits, conditions, exclusions and pre-existing condition exclusions. If you do not understand your coverage or if you have questions, just ask us.