How it works: Adventure sports, activities and experiences

Check out our list of activities, sports and adventures covered to find out:

  • what can be covered;
  • what can't be covered;
  • what plan you must choose to do a particular adventure sport, activity or experience; Standard Plan - Level 1, Explorer Plan -  Level 2

If all the sports, activities and experiences you want to try come under different activity levels, then just choose the highest level of cover (Explorer Plan) and all the activities listed on that level and below will be covered. For example, if you choose the Explorer Plan (Level 2) , you are covered for both Level 2 and Level 1 (Standard Plan) activities.

Important: You won’t be able to upgrade to the Explorer Plan mid-way through your policy, so choose carefully the first time (otherwise you’ll need to buy a new policy to cover your higher level activity).

What’s covered

When you’ve chosen the correct plan, if something goes wrong while participating, the cover that may be available includes:

  • Emergency Medical Expenses overseas
  • Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
  • Trip Interruption
  • Personal Liability (although read the policy wording for exclusions)
  • Personal Accident

We're pretty sure we've thought of most of the activities and experiences our adventurous travellers might want to try, but if what you want to do isn't listed, just contact us and we'll confirm if it can be covered or not.

What’s not covered

There may be specific exclusions and conditions that apply depending on what you'll be doing. Be sure to read the General Exclusions for other scenarios and expenses we don’t cover. Of course always read the full terms, conditions and exclusions in the policy wording so there’ll be no surprises if you need to use it.

To give you an idea, there’s no cover:

  • if you receive any kind of financial reward (like an appearance fee, a wage or salary) to participate in or train for a competition or race;
  • paragliding, mountaineering, base jumping, professional sports, races, competitions, motorsports
  • if you're driving or riding without the proper licences;
  • for sporting equipment damaged while in use.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1)

Contact us


For policies purchase on or after 2 December 2018:

+353 21 237 8007


For policies purchased before 2 December 2018:

+61 2 8256 1542