Photo © Getty Images/Gatsi

Travel insurance when visiting Spain

A trip to Spain can offer excitement, adventure, or pure relaxation. You can do it all in Spain!

    Trusted by:

  • Trusted by:

Bars, tapas, wine and fiestas. Olé

Spain has more bars than any other country in Europe. The Spanish invented tapas. It is a huge wine producer. The nightlife goes very, very late, which is why you’ll need a nap in the afternoon. Plus it’s festival after festival ALL summer-long.

With World Nomads you can buy travel insurance as soon as your trip is locked in or even when you’re already travelling around Spain (waiting periods apply), it’s entirely up to you.

Why do I need travel insurance to go to Spain?

When you’re planning your holiday you’re probably thinking about sunny beaches, croquetas and jamon, and Moorish palaces, not lost baggage, travel delays, missed flights or medical emergencies.  Any of these mishaps could mean a loss of muchos Euros, especially if you end up in a Spanish hospital.

For example, you could be planning to travel around Spain for a fortnight, but your trip is cut short on day four due to events out of your control such as - an unforeseen travel delay, a natural catastrophe or a missed flight connection. If you’ve purchased the Explorer Plan you may be covered for a number of insured events as part of our trip interruption cover.

World Nomads has two plans – Standard and Explorer - which cover an array of activities such as mountain biking, skiing, hiking, kayaking, surfing, and scuba diving.  We also offer cover for key events including:

  • Medical evacuation and repatriation back to the UK
  • Cancellation/trip interruption (Explorer Plan)
  • Travel delays or missed flights (Explorer Plan)
  • Lost, stolen or damaged baggage
  • Travel curtailment (Explorer Plan)
  • 24/7 worldwide Emergency Assistance
  • Cover for some Coronavirus-related events (Explorer Plan)

What to look out for when travelling to Spain

Crime in Spain

While wandering around the beautiful streets of Barcelona, Madrid, Grenada, and Seville can be a wonderful experience you also need to remain vigilant and keep your valuables in sight. Thieves often work in teams of two or more and tend to target money and passports. Remember to keep a photocopy or scanned copy of your passport and other important documents separate somewhere safe. Check out our baggage and valuables travel insurance cover designed for British travellers.

Nightlife in Ibiza and festivals

While fiestas and festivals are a big part of Spanish culture, you should always make sure you are in control and don’t go overboard with alcohol or other substances. We want you to have fun but also to be alert to the possible use of ‘date rape’ and other drugs including ‘GHB’ and liquid ecstasy. Buy your own drinks and always keep sight of them to make sure they aren’t spiked. Stick with your travel buddies, especially at big festivals.

Cover for adventure activities and sports while in Spain

While many visit the Tapas markets, bars, cafes and museums in Spain there are also adventures to be had off the beaten track. Spain offers a great range of outdoor activities. Some examples include:

  • Off-road quad biking, snorkelling or scuba diving in the Balearic Islands.
  • Whitewater rafting in the South Coast of Spain
  • A two-day trek to the summit of Mulhacén in the Sierra Nevada.
  • Kayaking in the waters of Valencia, Allicante and Almeira on the east coast

Note: always check your Policy Wording carefully to make sure all your chosen activities are covered. You may need to upgrade your level of cover for a specific activity when you purchase.

Will I need a Schengen Visa to go to Spain?

If you are a UK citizen travelling to Spain, you do not need a visa to travel to the Schengen Area if you’re staying for fewer than 90 days. But starting from 2022, you’ll need to apply for ETIAS visa authorisation to visit Spain and other EU states, which will allow you to visit the Schengen Area without a visa, even though the UK has left the EU. The exact date for when the ETIAS will be mandatory has not yet been announced.

Health changes and cover for some Coronavirus-related events

Most UK residents can no longer apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which ended in December 2020. Instead UK travellers must apply for the UK’s Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which offers cover for medical treatment in Schengen states. As the GHIC will not cover all treatment or mishaps, it is a good idea to get travel insurance that covers you for more extensive medical costs and lost luggage.

World Nomads offers cover for some Coronavirus-related events to help if your trip is derailed by COVID-19. Please read your policy carefully as benefit limits apply and vary between plans.


Check with a medical practitioner regarding vaccinations you may need – especially if you’re travelling to other countries in addition to Spain - preferably at least eight weeks before you travel. Evidence of vaccination (in the form of a certificate) could be a requirement for entry to some countries. Take some time to research any specific health risks in the country(ies) you are visiting. Without the recommended vaccinations, your cover may not apply.

About World Nomads

World Nomads polices are designed by travellers for travellers to provide simple and flexible travel insurance – and it’s often cheaper than you might think! Featuring coverage for more than 150 activities, quotes are fast, free and you can do it all online at All the information we provide about travel insurance is a brief summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions of the travel insurance plans described. Coverage may not be available for residents of all countries, states or provinces. Please carefully read your policy wording for a full description of coverage.

World Nomads believes in giving back to the communities we visit as travellers.

We began our Footprints charity program in the wake of the devastating Southeast Asian tsunami of 2004, to enable travellers to donate to community development projects across the world.

If you decide to purchase travel insurance with us, there is an option to add a donation at the time of purchase, and select the project you would like to send the donation to.

100% of all donations go directly to the project.

Travel insurance tipalways make sure you’ve done your research on all the countries you’re planning to visit as there may be UK government imposed travel bans or restrictions in place. If you decide to travel to a country where the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all travel or all but essential travel, your World Nomads policy will provide cover for the reasons outlined in the warning. The FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to many countries and territories in Europe due to coronavirus (COVID-19) risks. You can look up foreign travel advice here, and read the FCDO’s COVID-19 travel advice by clicking here.

Travel Insurance Benefits: how we can take care of you

Trip Cancellation

Protect your trip from unexpected cancellation.

  • Explorer Plan: £5,000
  • Standard Plan: £3,000
Trip Protection
  • Unexpectedly hospitalised?
  • Travel buddy unfit to travel?
  • Close relative suddenly dies?

We’ve got your back.

Emergency Abroad Medical Expenses

Take the pain out of medical costs while traveling abroad.

  • Explorer Plan: £10 million
  • Standard Plan: £5 million
Emergency Medical Insurance
  • Need meds quick?
  • Accidentally injured?
  • Suddenly sick?

We’ve got your back.

Emergency Medical Transport

Expenses included in Emergency Medical limits.

Evacuation and Repatriation
  • Banged up abroad?
  • Need a hospital urgently?
  • Medivac home?

Help starts here.

Protect your gear

Cover your lost, stolen or damaged gear and tech.

  • Explorer Plan: £2,000
  • Standard Plan: £1,000
Protect your gear
  • Passport or tech stolen?
  • Airline lost your gear?
  • Bags delayed?

Help starts here.

  • Emergency Medical Expenses
  • Baggage & Personal Belongings
  • Cancellation
  • Trip Curtailment
  • Personal Accident
  • Loss of Passport or travel documents
  • Personal Liability
  • Legal Expenses (Personal Liability)
This is a general summary for United Kingdom residents only. Restrictions, exclusions and limitations will apply. Benefit limits may vary depending on the plan chosen. Check the plan documents for full details.
Pre-existing medical conditions

World Nomads policies cannot cover claims due to Pre-Existing Medical Conditions (PEMC), regardless of whether the condition is serious or not (this includes if you're on separate or joint policies). You can still purchase a World Nomads policy, but the PEMC exclusion is not removable. 

For travel insurance providers that offer cover on PEMC, visit the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) Money Helper website, or call 0800 138 7777. BIBA's (The British Insurance Brokers' Association) Find Insurance Service offers information on serious PEMCs and travel insurance providers that may cover these conditions. You can also contact them on 0370 950 1790.

24/7 emergency assistance

If you need medical assistance or emergency medical evacuation our team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year before and during your trip.

Wherever you are, we’re here 24/7 to help you in any emergency.

Are you in need of emergency assistance right now?

For policies purchased on or after 1 September 2021:
+44 (0) 2030931750 (Call via an operator reverse charges. Not toll free.)

For policies purchased before 1 September 2021:
Phone: +353 21 237 8005 (Call via an operator reverse charges. Not toll free.)
Phone: +61 2 8263 0470 (Call via an operator reverse charges. Not toll free.)

Contact the team

Travel insurance. Simple & flexible.

Travel insurance for independent travelers and intrepid families. Nobody wants to think about all the things that could go wrong on their trip, but these things can and do happen. So be prepared and get your travel insurance today.