World Nomads’ plans provide coverage aimed at many mountain biking or cycling activities for Americans who are traveling abroad or 100 miles outside of their home. Check your plan carefully before heading down the road as conditions and exclusions apply.
If the mountain biking and cycling are incidental to your trip (that is, you only plan to go for a day or two here and there, and you’re not using a bike as your main mode of transport) then World Nomads’ plans may cover you for:
- Mountain biking.
- BMX biking (on or off road; on track; cross country).
- Cycling (incidental to the trip; independent touring; or on an organized tour).
More adventurous activities may require you to purchase an Explorer plan instead of a Standard plan. For a full list of our covered sports and adventure activities, read this Help Center article.
How it works
Provided you're acting responsibly, your policy provides coverage for cycling or mountain-biking related incidents, including:
- Emergency evacuation: If it’s an urgent and necessary part of treatment and pre-approved by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.
- Emergency medical expenses: For treatment at the hospital or local medical center.
- Repatriation: If you get into a fatal accident, your remains can be sent back home.
- Gear coverage: Sporting equipment may be covered when stolen or if checked-into your carrier, lost or damaged.This coverage is secondary to any coverage provided by your transportation carrier.
Emergency medical procedures and transportation need to be pre-approved and arranged by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team. Although we provide advances for medical bills, in some instances, you may be required to pay upfront because the facility may not accept travel insurance.
What may not be covered?
Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Our policies exclude:
- Participation in any race or professional sporting event.
- Coverage for your bicycle unless stolen or checked in as baggage with your transportation carrier.
- Any illegal activity.
- Any medical transportation or associated expenses that are not pre-authorized or approved by the 24/7 Emergency Assistance tea.
- A loss arising from knowingly exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, including cycling under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
This is a summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions and exclusions of the plans described. Please refer to the actual plans for complete details of coverage and exclusions.
If you have any questions, please contact us.