Sometimes things happen that are outside of your control and result in you needing to make a change to your itinerary. With World Nomads Travel Insurance if your trip is interrupted, you may be able to reclaim costs for additional transport and accommodation incurred.
What are covered reasons for Trip Interruptions?
- Trip over before it starts: If you have to rearrange your trip following an insured event before you leave home, we may pay for reasonable additional transport and accommodation expenses incurred.
- Trip cut short: If during your trip, your travel is interrupted by an insured event we may pay for reasonable and necessary additional transport and accommodation expenses incurred to rearrange, resume, catch up to or end your original travel plans.
- Sudden illness or injury: If you’re unable to continue your trip due to an Insured Event and involving a sudden illness or serious injury to you or any of your travelling party, we may pay for reasonable and necessary additional travel and accommodation expenses you incur until you or they are medically fit to continue travelling.
What are insured events?
There are 14 insured events for Trip Interruption cover, which you can find in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
What if my flight is cancelled due to staffing issues or it’s been overbooked?
Our policies don’t cover you in the event your flight is cancelled due to staffing issues, or in the event you have been ‘bumped’ to another flight because it’s been overbooked.
In these cases you should:
- First talk to your airline carrier about getting a new flight booked as soon as possible- either on another flight or with another airline.
- If you have to stay overnight, ask your airline carrier about accommodation and meal vouchers – most airlines will have options available.
If you choose to purchase another flight with another airline you should be aware you may not be covered for these additional expenses.
In the event of cancellation, delay or restriction of your travel arrangements by your travel service provider due to severe weather, natural disaster, hijacking or strike our policies may cover you depending on your specific circumstances and the plan you’ve purchased.
Things that aren’t covered by Trip Interruption Insurance
Some of the things we won’t cover regarding Trip Interruption cover include:
- A loss arising from an existing medical condition, except as described in ‘Health conditions & your policy’ in the PDS.
- Any expenses for delays, rescheduling or cancellation of scheduled public transport services arising from reasons within a carrier’s control, including but not limited to maintenance, repairs, schedule changes, service faults, corporate takeover or industrial activity other than a strike.
- You not providing receipts for your expenses.
- A loss arising from any act or threat of terrorism.
- Any other reason listed under the General Exclusions, which are applicable to all sections of the policy.
This is only a summary and does not include the full terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of the policy. You should read your PDS in full so you understand what is and isn’t covered. If you have any questions, please contact us.