Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?

World Nomads travel insurance plans include cover for riding motorbikes, mopeds and scooters, including medical, if you meet the conditions of cover as outlined in the policy wording.
For a start, when you’re the rider you need to be licensed for that class of motorbike back home and you need to wear a helmet when riding.
When you’re the passenger, the rider must hold the appropriate valid license for the vehicle and you need to wear a helmet when riding.
So if you hop aboard a zippy xe om in Hanoi, you may find yourself without cover if something goes wrong.

Am I covered to ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?

You may be eligible for cover if you do all of the following:

  • Hold a valid license in your home country for the class of vehicle you are riding.

  • Obey the local road rules, including being legally allowed to ride in the country you’re in.

  • Wear a helmet (it’s a requirement of your travel insurance cover) even if it’s not the law in the country you’re in. You may need to rent one or bring one from home.

What’s covered when riding a motorbike, moped or scooter?

If you are injured in an accident while riding a motorbike, moped or scooter, we can cover:

  • Evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary, including helicopter.

  • Emergency medical expenses on trip.

  • Repatriation home if it’s medically necessary if you’re unable to continue your trip.

If you’re hurt in an accident, you must contact the 24/7 Emergency Assistance Team as soon as possible, so we can find appropriate medical care and get you there if needed.

Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay) depends on what has happened to you and the treatment required.
Also, be aware that there is an excess per person, per claimable event. 

What’s not covered if I ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?

Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Here are some examples where no cover applies:

  • Riding unlicensed.

  • Breaking any local laws.

  • Not wearing a helmet.

  • Racing or riding in a competition.

  • Theft or damage to the motorbike, moped or scooter.

  • You go against local authority warnings or enter closed/restricted areas or places/situations known to be unsafe or dangerous.

  • Legal liability, such as fines or payouts, if you injure someone else or damage their property while riding a motorbike, moped or scooter.

 As ever, take care when doing fun-but-risky stuff or you could void your insurance. If you’re not sure about your ability in the conditions, then don’t ride.


This is only a summary of cover and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. You should read your policy wording in full so you understand what is and isn’t covered. That way there won’t be any surprises if you need to use it. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

For policies purchased on or after 1 August 2019, your policy is underwritten by nib Travel Services Limited. For policies purchased between 2 December 2018 and 31 July 2019: Your policy is underwritten by nib Travel Services Limited, formerly known as Nomadic Insurance Limited.

Related Articles

View more

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Contact us

Our contact details

We’re here to help if you have a question about travel insurance. We’re available:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm (UTC/UTC+1)

Contact us


For policies purchase on or after 2 December 2018:

+353 21 237 8007


For policies purchased before 2 December 2018:

+61 2 8256 1542