The world has about 195 countries and World Nomads travel insurance will go with you to most of them. That said, there are exceptions.
For information relating to policies purchased prior to 14 July 2021 12:00am UTC, please check the Policy Wording provided with your purchase. You can contact us if you need this sent to you again. For policies purchased from 14 July 2021 please see below.
What isn’t covered
We don’t cover trips to dangerous places. For example, you may invalidate your travel insurance if you decide to go anywhere with:
- Hostilities, whether a war has been declared or not. This can include acts of a foreign enemy or acts of terrorists; insurrection; martial law; blockade; or discharge, explosion or use of a weapon of mass destruction.
- Nuclear reactions or radioactive fallout.
- Failure to observe applicable preventative measures for the travel region(s), as outlined by the World Health Organization, including obtaining relevant vaccinations, malaria prophylaxis, and hygiene measures. Please refer to who.int for further information.
- A 'Do Not Travel' advisory from the US Department of State, even if the applicable country is listed as a travel destination on your Certificate of Insurance. If the relevant government issues a 'Do Not Travel' advisory after you buy your policy, travelers with the Explorer Plan may be eligible for cover for related pre-trip cancellation, trip interruption and additional expenses. Travelers with the Standard Plan do not have this coverage.
Please be aware that governments can issue or change travel warnings without notice, so always check with your local travel authority or consulate or please reach out to the World Nomads team for information before you book your trip.
We also don’t cover activities or expeditions in remote and inaccessible areas, for example, in Antarctica, the Arctic Circle or Greenland, unless approved by us before you leave on your trip.
New benefits for some Coronavirus-related events
We understand global travelers are concerned about the impact Coronavirus (COVID-19) might have on their plans and health while traveling, so we’ve introduced coverage for some coronavirus-related events on both our Standard and Explorer Plans to help travelers make decisions about booking travel now and into the future.
Our Standard and Explorer Plans offer cover for emergency medical assistance if you get sick with Coronavirus (COVID-19) overseas. Cover available includes medical assistance, hospitalization benefits, and evacuation or repatriation if deemed medically necessary by us and in consultation with your attending physician. Please note that benefit limits vary between our Standard and Explorer Plans.
Only our Explorer Plan includes our Coronavirus Travel Costs benefit, which offers cover for some coronavirus-related events, such as:
- trip cancellation should you contract COVID-19 and be placed under quarantine;
- for healthcare workers, residential care workers or law enforcement officers having pre-approved leave cancelled due to COVID-19; or
- where you are denied boarding because you’re suspected of being infected with Covid-19.
Please note this section has its own benefit limit which applies.
Travel insurance tip: Before you buy you should know there are still things we don’t cover, like travel to any destination(s) with a "Do Not Travel" warning in place, issued by the U.S. Department of State.
You can check out our Coronavirus article which has more information, including benefit limits, conditions and exclusions.
The policy isn’t designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions in the Policy Wording for full details so that there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you’re not sure if something is covered, get in touch.