World Nomads travel insurance potentially covers many types of sailing from short catamaran cruises to multi-day yacht adventures. You must be at least 100 miles from your home or abroad for your insurance to apply.
Sailing is a great way to explore and travel, which is why our plans provide coverage for certain activities. These include:
- Sailing on inland or coastal waters
The above activities are included in both the Standard and Explorer Plans, whereas the Explorer plan may cover more adventurous sailing adventures. Conditions and exclusions apply and if you’re not sure if your planned activity is covered, please see our activities page or contact us before you purchase your plan.
How it works
If you become seriously ill or injured while sailing and need urgent medical assistance, World Nomads may cover:
- Emergency evacuation if it’s an urgent, necessary treatment (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when available)
- Emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at a local medical facility.
- Repatriation If you get into a fatal accident, your remains can be sent back home
You must contact the 24/7 Emergency Assistance team before getting medical attention for pre-authorization and assistance. The team will be able to monitor your medical treatment, help with physician and hospital referrals, and provide an advance for in-patient care.
What's not covered
World Nomad’s insurance for sailing is specifically designed to target medical expenses, so if you’re renting a boat and worried about scratches and dents to the vessel, you should explore options with the rental company.
In addition to the above, the following is not covered under the policy:
- Any type of racing or professional sailing sports
- A loss arising from your knowingly exposing yourself to needless risk
This is a summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions and exclusions of the plans described. Please refer to the actual plans for complete details of coverage and exclusions.
If you have any questions, please contact us. Otherwise, enjoy the water and stay safe!